diy solar

diy solar

Questions from Newby with new EcoFlow DELTA Pro & Smart Extra Battery

Slayter

Two Questions After My Introduction to Solar Power

Just 2 months ago I purchased a Delta Pro & Extra Smart Battery from EcoFlow. I purchased 4 each 400-watt solar panels from a local solar service company. I had them install the panels, a second circuit breaker panel, and run the wiring. My intent for this purchase and installation is to serve as an emergency backup power source in the event of a power outage. Eight low-wattage circuits (lights and outlets-including the outlet that powers the refrigerator/freezer) have been connected through a separate circuit breaker panel to the Delta Pro and Extra Battery. We have full sun more than 300 days a year here in the desert southwest, so the installer suggested that I make use of my new solar system rather than just save it for emergency use.

On a full sun day, if I begin the day with the Pro and EB charged at or near 100%, the solar panels will carry the load until sundown. After that, the Pro and EB continue carrying the load. About bedtime, the Pro is usually down to about 60 or 65% and the EB is down to about 80 or 85%. By the time the sun comes up the next morning, the Pro is down to about 55 or 60% and the EB is down to about 70 or 75%. Within a few hours, the solar panels have charged both the Pro and the EB back up to near 100% and the cycle continues. If a cloudy day happens I plug the Pro into the grid during the day (which keeps both units charged to near 100%) and unplug it sometime after dark.

Question 1. Is it better to let my system work every day in this way, or because I really purchased it for emergency use, would it be better (would the system last longer) to put the Pro and EB into long-term storage (per the manufacturer's instructions) and save it just for emergencies?

Question 2. If I continue to use it daily is there a better level of charge I should keep the Pro and EB's batteries at, i.e., between 80% and 20% (or do those percentages really only apply to smartphones, laptops, etc)?

Hello Slayer, I have a very similar system set up at my house with my Delta Pro and it powers my "backup stuff" constantly. I do not charge the Ecoflow from the grid, unless I was preparing for a hurricane, etc. I did install an Automatic Transfer Switch on my fridge that will switch over to the grid if the Ecoflow turns off. So I don't have to worry about the SOC for the Ecoflow.
To answer your questions:

1. I would let it work every day as the Lifepo4 batteries should last for many years even with use. I have heard Lifepo4 batteries can be slightly preserved by keeping them 10-90% for storage, but if you are using the unit on a daily base, it will not be sitting at a certain level. I personally use 10-100% on my Ecoflow.

I would just continue to utilize your system if it works for you.
You can take advantage of the free energy to lower your electricity bill or offset the cost of the units, and explore how you can transition into a larger permanent system. Also, you might as well put your units in service because you're protected by Ecoflow's long warranty.

Thanks much. I appreciate both responses. Glad that this forum exists. The EcoFlow user manual doesn't cover very much. Their customer service is always available but I have had conflicting answers from their customer service reps.

It is truly enjoyable to occasionally monitor the power input from my new solar system.

Hello Slayer, I have a very similar system set up at my house with my Delta Pro and it powers my "backup stuff" constantly. I do not charge the Ecoflow from the grid, unless I was preparing for a hurricane, etc. I did install an Automatic Transfer Switch on my fridge that will switch over to the grid if the Ecoflow turns off. So I don't have to worry about the SOC for the Ecoflow.
To answer your questions:

1. I would let it work every day as the Lifepo4 batteries should last for many years even with use. I have heard Lifepo4 batteries can be slightly preserved by keeping them 10-90% for storage, but if you are using the unit on a daily base, it will not be sitting at a certain level. I personally use 10-100% on my Ecoflow.
Can you go into more detail on the ATS that you use for the refrigerator? What brand and where it is located on your system?

I took the easy solution as there was another outlet nearby and I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PG5XXZQ/
It is a ATS made out of two circuit breakers with an electronically controlled motor to switch between the two. I had originally bought a relay type system, but it switched too fast and caused arcing inside due to the two different polarities at times and blew up my Ecoflow Delta Pro. (Ecoflow replaced it no questions asked!) I also use a Fridge Saver device to turn off power to Refrigerator for three minutes if it detect any issues in the power to save the compressor for starting up quickly while still under pressure.

Back