diy solar

diy solar

Questions - MPP 12v in a van

AmboCamper

Hi all, I've got a question about using the MPP 12v all-in-one unit in my ambulance conversion along with a DC-DC battery charger and 12v circuits.

The plan is 200 ah of lithium batteries, along with solar, alternator and shore power charging. I was planning on using the 12v MPP all-in-one unit, which will take care of the solar charge controller and AC charging.

The one thing I'm having a problem with is how to wire an alternator charger and 12 v appliances with the MPP. I'll still be running a fridge, lights and power station off 12v because the ambulance is already wired for that. I'm a newb and I can't figure out if using the MPP would interfere with or complicate a standard system of busbars and fuses/breakers etc. that Will recommends. Maybe this question is too basic, but I can't find a straight answer anywhere.

TLDR: Is it safe to just wire extra charging sources and loads through the positive and negative busbars, even when using an all-in-one system like the MPP?

More generally, does anyone else use the MPP in a vehicle-mounted system? How's it working for you? How did you configure the wiring for your 12v loads?

Edit: I know I have to make sure I don't exceed the recommended charging rate of the batteries. Other than that, are there issues with having all of those things wired to one bus bar? Do I need some sort of combiner/regulator? Thanks

I have the same question here. Apparently no one has answered it yet. Can 12v loads be connected to the battery? Then what happens during charging the battery by MPP? Is there anyone to be able to answer?

Hi all, I've got a question about using the MPP 12v all-in-one unit in my ambulance conversion along with a DC-DC battery charger and 12v circuits.

The plan is 200 ah of lithium batteries, along with solar, alternator and shore power charging. I was planning on using the 12v MPP all-in-one unit, which will take care of the solar charge controller and AC charging.

The one thing I'm having a problem with is how to wire an alternator charger and 12 v appliances with the MPP. I'll still be running a fridge, lights and power station off 12v because the ambulance is already wired for that. I'm a newb and I can't figure out if using the MPP would interfere with or complicate a standard system of busbars and fuses/breakers etc. that Will recommends. Maybe this question is too basic, but I can't find a straight answer anywhere.

TLDR: Is it safe to just wire extra charging sources and loads through the positive and negative busbars, even when using an all-in-one system like the MPP?

More generally, does anyone else use the MPP in a vehicle-mounted system? How's it working for you? How did you configure the wiring for your 12v loads?

Edit: I know I have to make sure I don't exceed the recommended charging rate of the batteries. Other than that, are there issues with having all of those things wired to one bus bar? Do I need some sort of combiner/regulator? Thanks
If you are using the existing system on the rig, you need to find out what you are getting into. There are manufacturer schematics on line or you can reach out to the manufacturer and ask for a schematic. Braun, Star of Life and others should be able to provide you a schematic. This is important because your alternator ties into various things and runs though one (if not 3) control boards with various relays. This means at the very least you will have loss throughout the system. At the most you will destroy the control board.

My rig is a 97 Marquee and has no schematics because the company was sold so many times. So I have to gut and start from scratch. The alternator is tied into the high idle, generator transfer switches, the control board for the house battery, BLS system, oxygen pumps, Whelan light system and inverters for the compressors and house battery chargers. It's best to know your circuitry and where you can isolate / tie into the system safely with the MPP.

Back