diy solar

diy solar

Quick Connectors for AC/120v Wire?

WilliamFR

So, i think i have the DC part of the system down pretty good, but i'm a little confused on the AC out part. I'll have a mobile setup, where i have an AC OUT of my AIO to a breaker box. My AIO is in a case, and has recessed connectors to the battery, etc. I'd like to do the same for the AC OUT. I'll at times, be unplugging everything from the breaker box and leaving it there. I can't seem to find a quick connect/disconnect for 6/2 wire. Does such a thing exist like the anderson connectors for DC? I have this weird feel like it doesn't, or that it shouldn't be done for safety reasons..otherwise i'd be able to google this and find it easier lol. Thanks.

Take a look at this product.

This a non-NEMA type connector sometimes referred to a "California Style". They are kind of bulky but they have to be for the heavy gauge wire and cable fitment. These are typically used for connecting "spider boxes" at construction sites. There are also panel mount versions of this style.

can't seem to find a quick connect/disconnect for 6/2 wire
What is the amps of your aio 120VAC output?
Several twist lock cables are available for 30A and I believe 40A and have I used one on a 220 welder cord once.

Take a look at this product.

This a non-NEMA type connector sometimes referred to a "California Style". They are kind of bulky but they have to be for the heavy gauge wire and cable fitment. These are typically used for connecting "spider boxes" at construction sites. There are also panel mount versions of this style.
oh nice, def an option. I just got off the phone with anderson ironically and they told me their connectors work both ac and dc. they do have some 3 pin options there. additionally, i am correct in using this type of wire on the ac side right? instead of using just a red/black dc variant.

i am correct in using this type of wire on the ac side right? instead of using just a red/black dc variant.
On the AC side you should use the proper color coding as much as possible. Remember its OK to use phase tape (colored electrical tape) if for some reason all you can get is Black. Of course this does NOT apply to ground. Always Bare, Green or Green with Yellow tracer.

Why do you want a quick disconnect for the AC-out wires? Why not just turn off the main AC breaker if you want to cut power to the branch circuits?

Why do you want a quick disconnect for the AC-out wires? Why not just turn off the main AC breaker if you want to cut power to the branch circuits?
because my entire system up to the AC out will be packed around in a case. i'd leave the breaker panel at the camp, so i'd want to be able to unplug and go.

because my entire system up to the AC out will be packed around in a case. i'd leave the breaker panel at the camp, so i'd want to be able to unplug and go.
OK, your OP didn't make it clear that you actually wanted to remove the AIO. You just mentioned disconnecting wires.

What about using parts from a 6AWG extension cord? Buy a 6AWG extension cord long enough to reach between the AIO and the breaker box. Cut the cord about a foot or so from the female end. Wire the female end to the AC-out of the AIO. Wire the male end to the breaker box. Plug the two ends together when installing the AOI.

OK, your OP didn't make it clear that you actually wanted to remove the AIO. You just mentioned disconnecting wires.

What about using parts from a 6AWG extension cord? Buy a 6AWG extension cord long enough to reach between the AIO and the breaker box. Cut the cord about a foot or so from the female end. Wire the female end to the AC-out of the AIO. Wire the male end to the breaker box. Plug the two ends together when installing the AOI.
yeah that may be the way to go for ease of use. is there anything to worry about in terms of safety with that or is it good to go?

how we feeling about this?

If you will have this in a mobile setup then be sure you secure the two ends of the extension cord so they can't vibrate loose while driving. Otherwise I think it should be safe as long as the two ends make a good solid connection that can really handle the amperages involved.

The Anderson connectors are probably better than plain old extension cord ends. They look like they will stay together better. Again, just make sure they can really handle the amperage/voltage of your setup.

Back