diy solar

diy solar

Rack mounted enclosure for prismatic cells

avdept

Hey folks, please apologise if this has been asked before. I googled a lot but didn't find anything useful. I want to build 48v LFP battery of 16s cells. They are 280AH EVE cells with following dimensions
W:173mm
H:207.5mm
D: 72mm

I'm looking for some sort of rack mounted enclosure that possibly could have outside connectors at least. Something like pylon tech has, but without batteries. Thanks in advance.

You got a link?

I bought 16 cells and enclosure from Amy and shipping to USA, CA was 305.

Hey folks, please apologise if this has been asked before. I googled a lot but didn't find anything useful. I want to build 48v LFP battery of 16s cells. They are 280AH EVE cells with following dimensions
W:173mm
H:207.5mm
D: 72mm

I'm looking for some sort of rack mounted enclosure that possibly could have outside connectors at least. Something like pylon tech has, but without batteries. Thanks in advance.
If you are a financially challenged red neck adventurer (like me), fifteen of those 280Ah cells fit very neatly into a standard filing cabinet drawer arranged 5x3 with plenty of extra room for one or two extra cells and suitable clamping plates.
It will tend to fall on its face when you pull the drawer forward though.
One way to fix that is by bolting a barbell weight to the back.

Another way to do it is leave the sliding drawer fixed in position, and with a bit of fiendish modification, unbolt the sheet metal top, and arrange for the top of the filing cabinet to open upwards on a piano hinge at the back, see the second picture. A bit agricultural maybe, but entirely neat and practical.

If it looking like an ordinary dumb office filing cabinet offends you, turn it around so the front faces a wall, the top can still hinge up from the back, and it then looks like a neat plain metal box with a hinged lid. Which it is what it is.

I did it with thirty much smaller 50Ah Winston cells arranged 6x5 in the two pictures below, but fifteen +1 or +2 280Ah cells also fit pretty much the same. If you check the dimensions you will find this is true. I have already done it, but do not have a picture of it to post right now.

Attachments

• 2018-10-10_0008.jpg
    2018-10-10_0008.jpg
    937.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 2018-10-10_0009.jpg
    2018-10-10_0009.jpg
    864.1 KB · Views: 33
fifteen of those 280Ah cells fit very neatly into a standard filing cabinet drawer arranged 5x3 with plenty of extra room for one or two extra cells and suitable clamping plates.
I like it, - is this thinking "inside" the box!?
Makes me wonder about a lateral file cabinet, bolted to a concrete floor, (to prevent tip over) water-fall the wires at the back to allow opening the drawers to check on cells, do service. Quality used file cabinets typically have full extension glides with high load capacity and are readily available/cheap.
Have to ponder this.

I just fitted my thirty cells to the upper drawer and the upper drawer was solidly fixed in position.
Excellent access to that was gained via a hinged lid.
I planned to eventually double up on capacity and fit another thirty cells to the lower drawer, but never did so.
That could then slide out, but the weight of the cells in the upper section should be just sufficient to prevent tipping.
If not, a heavy steel plate bolted to the rear would provide extra stability.

Anyhow, change of plan.
I now plan to use thirty of the much larger Chinese 280 Ah cells, fifteen in the top, and fifteen in the lower sliding drawer.
I only have sixteen cells with me here right now, and another eight are on their way, so have not done very much so far to get all this installed and working. I will probably start fresh with a new two drawer filing cabinet.

But a single drawer filing cabinet will definitely hold fifteen 280Ah cells with about 10mm of side clearance for clamping plates, and around 25mm space at the front. That suits my own needs perfectly.
It would be possible to modify the very thick double skinned front of the drawer to provide enough space to fit in two extra cells if required.
Several ways to go about that, especially if you go to a hinged top lid.

A further advantage of this, it can be locked, a handy feature if you have young children.
Apologies for the crappy photographs.

Attachments

• 2023-02-12_0001.jpg
    2023-02-12_0001.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 2023-02-12_0002.jpg
    2023-02-12_0002.jpg
    767.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 2023-02-12_0003.jpg
    2023-02-12_0003.jpg
    844.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 2018-10-10_0007.jpg
    2018-10-10_0007.jpg
    875.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I'd be interested to see @Will Prowse do a review on one of these cases. He's got to have enough cells and BMS's floating around that he can put together a full battery. I wonder if @Amy Wan can pull some strings to get a case his way for a video.

I know he was complaining a while back about how nobody was buying cells anymore because the rackmounts were such a good value that it wasn't really worth it, but now that we have 280 and 300ah cells and no way to conveniently house them this might be a good experiment. Something along the lines of:

16x 304Ah from Amy = $
Make/Model BMS from $Source = $
$Any Other Parts from $Places = $

VS

3x EG4 batteries at $4500

Last edited:
I google a bit more and found this item https://www.seplos.com/product/MASON-48280-Battery-Pack-DIY-Kits-Without-Cells.html

However it's a big pricey, I'd expect it to be in range of ~200, but without BMS and other stuff. Only box with external terminals
I google a bit more and found this item https://www.seplos.com/product/MASON-48280-Battery-Pack-DIY-Kits-Without-Cells.html

However it's a big pricey, I'd expect it to be in range of ~200, but without BMS and other stuff. Only box with external terminals
Did you find the right one? I have the same problem now. If yes, please share a link.thanks

Has anyone tried Luyuan's battery box, either this or the 24v (8s) version?

Thanks in advance!

Back