diy solar

diy solar

Rail spacing for PV array

fisherus

I can't find any information regarding where the spacing should be for the panels I am using on my Ironridge ground mount. I have 16 Itek 360se 360W panels and 8 370W Phono Solar panels that I am mounting. I intend to run the 16 360W panels in strings of 8 panels, then parallel them and run 10ga. stranded underground copper wire to one charger in my Sol-Ark 12k. The other 8 370W panels will be run on a separate pair of the same gauge wire to the other charger in the Sol-Ark 12k. Eventually, I plan to purchase another 8 Phono solar panels to pair with the other 8 panels, if I need more power.
Now to my original question. I am mounting the panels in landscape in 6 rows, 4 panels per row. The panels are approximately 78.5" X 39.5" on both, the 360W and the 370W. How many inches should my rails be set inside the outside left and right edges of the panels and why? Additionally, how is the best way to run the strings together before I parallel them on the 16 360W panels?

There might be a better answer but I put mine about 42" as I recall. Think about how the weight will balance and you would put the rails about 1/4th the length of the panel, from each end of the panel. So about 40" apart for a 80" panel.

Back