diy solar

diy solar

Rant about Ah and Wh...

I've cooled a bit. I'm not here because I know it all. I'm here because my solar energy ventures are stepping up to the next level.... generating AC. So I really do need a good solid source of info, like forums like this.

It seems I have however clashed on several topics already, particularly around batteries. My angst is not coming from saying people are wrong and I am right, it's coming from conflicting information and a lot of that information has discrepancies which I feel need resolved before I can accept or reject the things people are claiming. I am trying to learn, but when you have 90% of the picture and trying to get at the last 10% you invariably get dragged back through the 90% over and over again and you see people making the same mistakes that I made over and over. It frustrates me. I am very likely to call it out and state something like, "That does not prove what you say it proves, your test is incomplete, your data wrong and your aggregate margin of error on those figures could both be used to prove and disprove your point." This usually launches us into a thread like this ended up. It doesn't make me any friends :)

Once it went to "ideal components and models" i knew it was done for, I just didn't expect such a hostile reaction.

I need to come away from the "oppositional positioning" in debates and should probably stop using the "generic you"/ "indefinite you" tense as that can be antagonising if the reader reads "you" referring to them particularly, of if they even read it to mean everyone but the author. I honest mean "you" as the universal "you" as in me you and everyone relevant.

On the battery conflicts. Maybe I just stay out of those discussions and breeze on past. Who am I to be concerned by how someone else does it? How do I then get to that last 10% of the details? If I ask and they give me a vague hand wavey explanation, parrot a few unqualified statements and back it up with badly measured data, do I rolls my eyes, sigh and give up or do I find a better way to challenge them?

I feel there is a lot of lore in this field. Also a good amount of "lying to the children" simplifications. It can be frustrating when people just repeat this as gospel and when challenged on it, can't explain or even defend "why" it is that way. They can become quite hostile when you point out that the information they just gave you does not explain or confirm anything of the sort.

My current target is "low current overcharging". But I dare not go there right now. I'll let things cool further and consider my position.

low current overcharging

Maybe because this is mixed in with overcharging by keeping the cell at a high voltage for too long? There are other aspects to this with have to do with the SEI and other aspects, but I usually refer to the research papers on these topics.

How do I then get to that last 10% of the details?

Start a thread, and ask a very specific question (singular) and discuss it. Report off-topic posts or those that are considered a personal attack. Don't dismiss information that might go against your current thinking or 'common sense', especially if backed up by data or research. Keep in mind that some of the details you're looking for might not have a single correct answer.

My current target is "low current overcharging". But I dare not go there right now. I'll let things cool further and consider my position.
Start a new thread on that topic and introduce yourself. I think that is a subject that would be interesting. I have learned a lot in the few years I have been on this forum. I also agree with the advice from @upnorthandpersonal. This forum offers a worldwide perspective.

I have learned a Ton here. A lot by following other threads. Much with precise questions with my own threads.

I have multiple degrees. I set that aside here because we are all trying to learn, share and grow.

I am a student in this area and while I have learned a great deal still have much to learn. On more than one occasion I have needed to swallow any pride I may have. On a number of those occasions the advice saved me from making a serious mistake.

This is a terrific forum with very knowledgeable people. Grateful to be a member.

Last edited:
Back