diy solar

diy solar

Rant: EG4 48v 100ah battery has faulty BMS. Signature solar customer service is TERRIBLE

mberding

I ordered a EG4 48v 100ah battery from Signature solar. After modifying a couple of 2/0 lugs to fit within the battery terminals of the unit, everything got up and running pretty well.

Then one day we turned on the vacuum cleaner. This isn't some industrial-sized piece of equipment, this is an appliance that plugs into a standard 15-amp 120v receptacle.

According to the specifications of the battery, it can handle 100 amps continuous output. That's around 5,000 watts, depending on the exact voltage of the battery. The BMS is setup to protect the unit but shutting it off under certain conditions. One of those conditions is a short circuit, which it does instantly (less than 1 second) at 250 amps of output.

This EG4 battery was going into short circuit protection when we turned on the vacuum cleaner. That means, if it was working correctly, that it was receiving a load of over 12,500 watts. Out of a vacuum cleaner.

Just to prove that the unit was going into short circuit protection earlier than it should, I took the vacuum and hooked it up to a Jackery 1500. The Jackery could run the vacuum with no problems and showed its running wattage to be around 822 watts.

So even if the vacuum had a 10x startup surge (which it obviously doesn't because the Jackery could power the vacuum), we'd still be well under the 12,500 watt short-circuit protection that the EG4's BMS was complaining about.

Also it should be noted that the battery was able to handle lots of other kinds of loads. Microwave, resistive heaters, mini split, they all worked great. We could even run all of those loads at the same time without any issues. It was just the startup surge of a vacuum that caused it to instantly shut off.

For reference, we were using a MPP LV 6548 as our inverter/charger with 2/0 cables connecting the two. There was also a T-class fuse and a Victron shunt.

So I contacted Signature Solar customer service to see what's going on. They had me run through all sorts of tests and eventually decided that the battery might be faulty and that they wanted to test it, so we arrange to get it shipped back to them.

Once they receive the battery, they run their own series of tests, declare that it's fine, has no issues, and it's up to me to pay to have the battery shipped back to me or to accept a fractional refund.

I'm pissed! Would I have gone through all this trouble if the battery was working properly? Do I want to receive back the same faulty battery? No!

My purchase price for the battery was $1,499 + $189.12 (shipping) = $1,688.12 total.

After multiple rounds of dealing with customer service, I ended up being refunded a total of $939.05, mostly because they declared the battery was fine and had no issues.

It failed every time we started a vacuum that a JACKERY could run!

So this is my warning -- don't buy from Signature Solar. They have terrible customer service and refund policies and will short you heavily if there's an issue. I'm out $749.07 and a battery. I will never purchase from them again and I'll avoid the EG4 brand in the future.

The pictures and videos that are included show the short circuit error the battery was throwing, the vacuum and its 15-amp plug, and a shot of the Jackery running said vacuum.
IMG_2234.jpegIMG_2248.jpegJackery running vacuum.jpg

P.S.: I shared all of these images with Signature Solar as we were working through the debugging process proving the the battery was failing. They then proceeded to do their own tests and determine the battery was fine and I was wrong.

P.S.: I shared all of these images with Signature Solar as we were working through the debugging process proving the the battery was failing. They then proceeded to do their own tests and determine the battery was fine and I was wrong.
They should have replaced the battery without any issues, after all they get their money back from China.

I was about to place an order with them for an inverter and 3 of those batteries. This is making me reconsider my options.

Did you make a video of this? Also what version did you get the pro version or cheap version.

This is the first I heard of there bats having an issue, don't they use the sepolos bms?

Did you make a video of this? Also what version did you get the pro version or cheap version.

This is the first I heard of there bats having an issue, don't they use the sepolos bms?
I have a video of the jackery running the vacuum and pictures of a connected windows laptop communicating with the battery, and it shows a short circuit error. I wish I had a really clear video of the whole failure process.

I don’t know which BMS they’re using.

I got the “cheap” version as I only wanted a simple battery.

I was about to place an order with them for an inverter and 3 of those batteries. This is making me reconsider my options.

If your equipment works perfectly, then you won’t have any issues. Just don’t count on their customer service to treat you right if something isn’t working properly.

They also want over $700 for shipping. Not sure I want to pay that, then find out something doesn't work correctly.

Hey there, Richard From EG4 here. I'd like to look into what happened here and make sure you get taken care of properly - can you please PM me your information. Did you take a video of the battery hooked up with no load and then starting the vacuum to see the error message? I'll make sure you get taken care of properly.

I wonder if this is one of those situations where you need more than one battery to properly power an inverter with larger surge currents? Some inverters require a min of 200Ah of battery to properly meet all published specs.
I'd have to check, but in about 90% of these reports I have found this to be the case.

So I was able to locate the ticket with Signature Solar and interactions you had with their team. It seems like the interaction was mostly positive - they asked for several details and for the most part you responded with the information. The problem they run into is that you were using an inverter that they don't directly sell, so they don't have the specs in front of them during troubleshooting. Signature Solar does their best to find as much information as they can to help customers in every interaction, but when you are putting a DIY system together there is a certain level of responsibility to ensure that it's designed with all the correct specifications in mind. During testing, they plugged the battery into an inverter on site and were able to run both a large shop vac, and a circular saw on the single battery with no issues. They also measured the discharge current and verified it was able to operate at 100a continuous without issues.

This shows us that the battery is 100% operating to the specifications that EG4 has listed. The only 2 pieces of testing that Signature Solar had no control over was the inverter and the vacuum you were using. After a little research, we are able to find that the inverter you listed as using during the errors has requirements that by itself exceed the specifications of a single battery. I am sure you would have success with 2-4 batteries as those match the specifications listed for your device and the load. Signature Solar posts its refund policy and informs people of their policy when an item is returned. I'd like to be clear - if there was an issue discovered with the unit, it would have been covered under warranty and replaced at no charge, as that is their policy. In this case, the battery was 100% operational to the specifications listed and it is likely the inverter sizing that is causing the issue. As always I am always available via PM for further discussion or in this thread if you would like to @ me.

Did you try using a different plug on the same system before sending the battery back?

During testing, they plugged the battery into an inverter on site and were able to run both a large shop vac, and a circular saw on the single battery with no issues. They also measured the discharge current and verified it was able to operate at 100a continuous without issues.

This shows us that the battery is 100% operating to the specifications that EG4 has listed. The only 2 pieces of testing that Signature Solar had no control over was the inverter and the vacuum you were using. After a little research, we are able to find that the inverter you listed as using during the errors has requirements that by itself exceed the specifications of a single battery. I am sure you would have success with 2-4 batteries as those match the specifications listed for your device and the load. Signature Solar posts its refund policy and informs people of their policy when an item is returned. I'd like to be clear - if there was an issue discovered with the unit, it would have been covered under warranty and replaced at no charge, as that is their policy. In this case, the battery was 100% operational to the specifications listed and it is likely the inverter sizing that is causing the issue. As always I am always available via PM for further discussion or in this thread if you would like to @ me.

Hello Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. I don't doubt that the battery was able to handle the loads they threw at it. In my testing, I was adding space heaters and microwaves until I got it up to around 90 amp continuous discharge. The battery handled it like a champ.

But if I turned everything off and simply started up the vacuum, it would kill the battery. BMS on the battery said it was a short circuit. This made no sense. A Jackery could run the same vacuum.

To me, it seemed like the battery just couldn't handle the sudden surge request of the vacuum. Yes, I could have added a couple more batteries, but for the needs of the application I was working with, and the fact that I wanted to test this brand of battery before buying a bunch of them, this was a pretty dismal failure.

I'm disappointed in two things:
  1. The battery was going into short circuit protection mode when attempting to operate an 822-watt vacuum.
  2. The refund policy for Signature Solar is terrible. They weren't able to make it fail, so therefore it's my fiscal responsibility. Do they think I would be going to all this trouble if it wasn't failing for me? As a software engineer, it's my job to routinely reproduce problems and then fix them, not just say the customer is wrong.
Unfortunately I don't have a thorough video of the unit failing when running the vacuum, just the screenshots of the BMS and its short-circuit display as included in my original posting. Next time I have any issues with anyone's products, I'll be video'ing the whole process.

It also recommends 153a - good catch.

The EG4 battery is supposed to be able to handle 100 amp continuous output with a slight surge above that. 100 amps at around 51.2v = 5,100 watts. Yet somehow running a household vacuum caused it to go into short circuit protection (which is only supposed to kick in at 250 amps).

The battery could handle large loads, it just couldn't handle the surge. A Jackery could. I expected more from a professional-grade server-rack battery.

Yeah...it's disappointing for sure. The first thing I would do is put a clamp meter on the vacuum power wire (not the neutral or ground) and see what the max inrush current is. If it exceeds the battery spec, then that's your answer. The BMS may be programmed on the conservative side of what the battery pack could actually do but some of the rack mount units have an even lower max output...like the ones from watts247. I think they're only rated at 50A.

I've been trying to spec out a system that would be able to start my 4-ton HVAC unit and the number of batteries and the size of the inverter needed for that is likely a $10k purchase at least. It would be cheaper for me to install a mini-split or two and leave the main AC off.

Back