diy solar

diy solar

Rant: EG4 48v 100ah battery has faulty BMS. Signature solar customer service is TERRIBLE

See.. EG4 double confirms that they are UL LISTED.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 4.19.21 PM.png

EG4 has officially confirmed that the unit is UL LISTED . If it actually is not.. they have some explaining to do :)
The Battery or the Inverter. The Inverter is not listed.
The EG4 Lifepower battery is listed but under the name Jiangxi Gafeng Battery Technology LTD.
The interesting things was the Signature Solar had that listing certificate up on their site the week they announced it and then when I made the post saying I had researched who actually made the battery using the Certificate holders name on their site, they suddenly removed the cert and now put up one that says it's certified to them at their US Address. The joke is that if you search for MH65558 in the UL database it still shows the Listing holder as Gafeng Battery company and it's listed as a Telcom Battery.

Last edited:
The Battery or the Inverter. The Inverter is not listed.

EG4 clearly states that both are listed according to the above statement that I linked to.... (you may of missed my above post, I think I posted it at the same time while you were posting) .

If its not listed... A whole bunch of people, including myself, got duped :)

EG4 clearly states that both are listed according to the above statement that I linked to.... (you may of missed my above post, I think I posted it at the same time while you were posting) .

If its not listed... A whole bunch of people, including myself, got duped :)
Jarred, I am sorry but your really late to the party. This stuff was revealed just a few days after Will dropped his video and then Will went back and edited the Video to removed his references to it being listed. There are several posts about it.
Anyway here is the TUV certification from SS Website. It's the same certification the LV6548 has had for years.

https://signaturesolar.com/content/documents/EG4/6500ex/EG4_6.5_tuv2.pdf

“Found out the UL listing for the inverter is the same TUV certificate that the Iv6548 has had for years”

It’s not a UL Listing then. This is misleading. Right?

Jarred, I am sorry but your really late to the party. This stuff was revealed just a few days after Will dropped his video and then Will went back and edited the Video to removed his references to it being listed. There are several posts about it.
Anyway here is the TUV certification from SS Website. It's the same certification the LV6548 has had for years.

https://signaturesolar.com/content/documents/EG4/6500ex/EG4_6.5_tuv2.pdf
yeah sigh... totally late to the party. eyes are wide open and jaw on the ground . Sigh. Wow is this just normal in this industry? this blows my mind.

That EG4 inverter being UL listed is a joke that is probably bordering on fraudulent marketing.

The battery isn't UL 9540 (Residential Energy Storage) listed, which is what most AHJs want to see. The SOK server rack batteries are pursuing this UL9540 listing.

yeah sigh... totally late to the party. eyes are wide open and jaw on the ground . Sigh. Wow is this just normal in this industry? this blows my mind.
I asked them at the time if people who bought 6500EX based on them being "Listed" would be reimbursed and I got no reply.
This kind of thing is Not normal when dealing with US Based companies but is the norm when dealing directly with the Chinese retailers on Alibaba etc.

I asked them at the time if people who bought 6500EX based on them being "Listed" would be reimbursed and I got no reply.
This kind of thing is Not normal when dealing with US Based companies but is the norm when dealing directly with the Chinese retailers on Alibaba etc.
not surprised. But ive bought a lot of stuff of Alibaba... Signature Solar seems worse :)

Just want to chime in here... Signature Solar definitely has the worst customer service I have encountered in many years... and I wont be buying from them again.

I ordered 4 x Eg4 6500ex inverters and 12 x Eg4 batteries. Spent a lot of momey. Got the inverters last week and installed them, and only 1 of them was working properly. Not knowing if it was my own mistake or not I emailed tech support and received no response. after a day or two i then emailed normal customer support.

The next day customer support emailed me telling me they have been discussing on my issue all morning and needed more information, so i sent them a video of the issues.

A few hours later, customer support emailed telling me to return the units I would need to pay a 30% restock fee and pay for shipping. I said woah hat wasn't fair if the product was defective... their response was because said I refused to receive technical support so they were going to charge me.

My mouth hit the floor... I sent them videos, emails of the issues, with no response.. how was that refusing to troubleshoot? so i asked them just that.. how was I refusing technical support.

They emailed back the next day that sorry they must of been thinking of a different customer... o my god i thought i was in the twilight zone. Then they emailed and said sorry the tech support guy wasnt in that day ( after remember they said they were working with tech support all morning )

So fast forward a day.. customer support emailed me and promised that Adam their top technical support would reach out to me that morning and help. Adam never contacted me... Nobody from technical support ever responded. I emailed again yesterday to inform them nobody has contacted me... and its been crickets.

So yeah... I know these units are new to market... i make electronics for a living so I know new things take a while to work out the demons... I have a lot of patience for that. But the horrendous customer service... dealbreaker.

Update.. they must be reading this forum because some guy named Alex just emailed me from tech support... but of course now its too late ive taken the eg4s down and put back up my 6548s and i will build those out.
SigSolar refused to provide a safe wiring diagram for the grid connection of my Growatt spfxxxxt " ... We are not allowed to send out any sort of wiring diagrams as we do not want to be liable for any situations. ... ". This response was after they 'attempted' to get Growatt's recommended grid-connect wiring for the unit. After a lot of posts here Growatt 12k passthrough about n-g bonding and what internal safety precautions GW did, or did not posses in case of internal transformer overload (it is wired in a fashion that attempts to balance the utility's transformer in pass-through mode), they offered to let me return the unit. Without connecting to the grid, the inverter does not meet what add copy, or GW's owner's manual states. I am not takikng the 30% restocking + shipping hit for a 100lb inverter attached to a pallet.

Live and learn ... I guess.

Just for reference, running 3 systems with over 50 EG4 and Lifepower4 battery units in total and no problems with any of them. Granted things are sized appropriately for the loads.

One system is growatt, 2 are Sol-Ark.

Can't wait for EG4 and Sol-Ark BMS comms compatibility and in my eyes they will be pretty much perfect then.

Man I hear these horror stories about signature solar customer service. Thank God every single interaction with them has been Pleasant. They have bent over backwards to take care of issues I have had with their products. The only thing unresolved for me was the 5K grow watt being able to safely have grid and 6.5 eg4 61 error. I'm sure they will get the 61 error figured out soon. Other than that they have taken care of me time and time again.
I could not imagine spending this kind of money and having bad customer service or people not standing behind their products.
if I was needing inspection and was tying into the grid I would have done my research and verified compliance before purchasing material. I did not pay attention to the tuv/ul certification as it did not pertain to my install. Anybody who did not do their due diligence before they purchased expensive equipment to have installed for inspection I feel sorry for.

Signature Solar and EG4 both offer great customer service in my opinion. I've personally called dozens, if not hundreds of other solar suppliers during my time here for a number of reasons. That is, if they even offer phone support at all. Lets be honest, pretty much anyone here can tell you that 99.9% of solar suppliers don't even offer consumer support - and you are lucky if they will talk to your installer. When they do offer any support, its almost always an email system (trust me, I've sent more emails than probably most on this forum to solar suppliers in the industry). It's only when I attach my relationship with SS or EG4 that I hear a response at all in 90% of the cases. The issues people report on this forum are not limited to Signature Solar - but the fact remains that we are one of the very few companies who help and respond. That's a big reason we see a large influx of posts for SS - because people know they actually will get a response here. I don't know how many customers I've talked to with other systems who simply gave up because they can't even get a response at all. Just this morning I went out to a third party install (this was not done in my official capacity at all, this was a friend who had a system from prior to my joining of SS) and helped them fix the issue. It was a different system, but lots of the same menu items etc if you know what I mean. Anyways, they had reached out to their installer (who surprisingly didn't respond at all) and then to the place where they had purchased the equipment (again - no response) before finally asking me if I'd try and take a look.

There are a number of users, on this forum specifically I've noticed, who go out of their way to target any post with SS or EG4 in them and rehash the same old issues again and again, not helping the original poster with their issue, simply chiming in about their terrible experience with Signature Solar. I'm not here to say everyone has had the best experience with SS or EG4 - trust me, I have seen and fixed a number of issues since I've been here - but these people are not helping the community at all and simply make it harder for others like me who are trying to help get the information I need to do so. These people are making it MORE DIFFICULT for other users to get support and help to their issues.

I've turned more 1 star reviews into 5 stars simply by listening and going out of my way to find a creative solution. In some cases, I've simply explained why the person was in the wrong and what they can do in the future to avoid the problem. One thing I've consistently noticed though, is the fact that every issue on this forum, as soon as it has SS attached to it, seems to garner pages of responses from the same people over and over, meanwhile, posts with the exact same issues on other products and distributors seem to be completely ignored. I've been a strong supporter of our public interactions on the forum and numerous other venues, and I will always strive for complete transparency in our business. I personally research a number of issues on this forum when they are brought to my attention. Our tech support and sales teams are constantly growing. From a tech support point of view, they do tickets in the order received and as fast as possible - and you would be amazed by the number of tickets created that are user error and clog up the response time frame. There have been a number of times I've responded to posts on here where someone simply didn't do their research and then hope we will pick up the ball to fix the issue.

As always, my inbox is open for anyone who wants to reach out and get help. I'll always do my best to fix the issue for you or come to an agreeable solution.

Signature Solar and EG4 both offer great customer service in my opinion. I've personally called dozens, if not hundreds of other solar suppliers during my time here for a number of reasons. That is, if they even offer phone support at all. Lets be honest, pretty much anyone here can tell you that 99.9% of solar suppliers don't even offer consumer support - and you are lucky if they will talk to your installer. When they do offer any support, its almost always an email system (trust me, I've sent more emails than probably most on this forum to solar suppliers in the industry). It's only when I attach my relationship with SS or EG4 that I hear a response at all in 90% of the cases. The issues people report on this forum are not limited to Signature Solar - but the fact remains that we are one of the very few companies who help and respond. That's a big reason we see a large influx of posts for SS - because people know they actually will get a response here. I don't know how many customers I've talked to with other systems who simply gave up because they can't even get a response at all. Just this morning I went out to a third party install (this was not done in my official capacity at all, this was a friend who had a system from prior to my joining of SS) and helped them fix the issue. It was a different system, but lots of the same menu items etc if you know what I mean. Anyways, they had reached out to their installer (who surprisingly didn't respond at all) and then to the place where they had purchased the equipment (again - no response) before finally asking me if I'd try and take a look.

There are a number of users, on this forum specifically I've noticed, who go out of their way to target any post with SS or EG4 in them and rehash the same old issues again and again, not helping the original poster with their issue, simply chiming in about their terrible experience with Signature Solar. I'm not here to say everyone has had the best experience with SS or EG4 - trust me, I have seen and fixed a number of issues since I've been here - but these people are not helping the community at all and simply make it harder for others like me who are trying to help get the information I need to do so. These people are making it MORE DIFFICULT for other users to get support and help to their issues.

I've turned more 1 star reviews into 5 stars simply by listening and going out of my way to find a creative solution. In some cases, I've simply explained why the person was in the wrong and what they can do in the future to avoid the problem. One thing I've consistently noticed though, is the fact that every issue on this forum, as soon as it has SS attached to it, seems to garner pages of responses from the same people over and over, meanwhile, posts with the exact same issues on other products and distributors seem to be completely ignored. I've been a strong supporter of our public interactions on the forum and numerous other venues, and I will always strive for complete transparency in our business. I personally research a number of issues on this forum when they are brought to my attention. Our tech support and sales teams are constantly growing. From a tech support point of view, they do tickets in the order received and as fast as possible - and you would be amazed by the number of tickets created that are user error and clog up the response time frame. There have been a number of times I've responded to posts on here where someone simply didn't do their research and then hope we will pick up the ball to fix the issue.

As always, my inbox is open for anyone who wants to reach out and get help. I'll always do my best to fix the issue for you or come to an agreeable solution.
When you are being held to a higher standard then your peers that's how you know you are doing something right, from an outside perspective those other companies that are not replying aren't even an option so they don't need to be held to any standard as they won't be getting the sale anyway.

The silent majority like me just keep coming back for more batteries, just told a customer to order 4 more a week or so ago from yall making a total of 87 EG4/Lifepower4 packs that I'm involved with here in Oklahoma but only 51 in action thus far.

But I have no reason to make elaborate attention grabbing posts like the people with more negative experiences.

I was wondering when this exact post would appear. It makes me wonder if there is not some business handbook out there with a chapter on playing the victim in order to silence your critics. I have seen Reef Aquarium companies, Ham Radio Companies and a Video Game makers make this exact same kind of posts about being the Victim who is selfishly trying to help people by offering fantastic support for their customers and yet they have been bashed by a small group of misfits that seem to hate them. BTW it typically ends with them saying they will no longer offer support on the forum, but I guess James is not giving up the free Targeted Advertising.
Signature Solar and EG4 both offer great customer service in my opinion. I've personally called dozens, if not hundreds of other solar suppliers during my time here for a number of reasons. That is, if they even offer phone support at all.
You do know there are a Ton of posts to the contrary but hey as you say, that is your opinion.
Can you name some of these places that offer no support at all? It's pretty hard to be a US company and not have some sort of support system. I have dealt with EcoDirect and they are excellent.
Lets be honest, pretty much anyone here can tell you that 99.9% of solar suppliers don't even offer consumer support
Rubbish! My first choice for Solar was SMA and I was calling their CS twice a day for two weeks. I always reached someone on the first call and when they said they would email me files they arrived on my PC before the call was even finished. I give them an A+ for support and a D+ for giving out accurate information

My Second Choice was Outback and I had Zero problems reaching their customer support. They were very knowledgeable and friendly but it was clear that for the price vs Features I needed to talk to Sol-Ark also.

Sol-Ark was my final pick and I honestly do not think you even want to start comparing Sol-Ark customer service with Signature Solar. It would be like comparing the American Moon Landing to the Soviet Moon Landing.
- and you are lucky if they will talk to your installer. When they do offer any support, its almost always an email system (trust me, I've sent more emails than probably most on this forum to solar suppliers in the industry). It's only when I attach my relationship with SS or EG4 that I hear a response at all in 90% of the cases.
Which one's I have never had that experience except when dealing with Chinese companies that setup a store front in the USA.
The issues people report on this forum are not limited to Signature Solar - but the fact remains that we are one of the very few companies who help and respond. That's a big reason we see a large influx of posts for SS - because people know they actually will get a response here.
And there is your Dilemma. I warned James that offering Customer Support on a Public Forum is a risky business that is why most smart companies stay away from doing it.
Of course there is the huge advantage of going to where the money is and getting your name and products seen everyday, but the downside is that your dirty laundry is on full display for the public. So if this post is supposed to try and get rid of the negatives while you keep taking advantage of the positives, it will probably not work.

I don't know how many customers I've talked to with other systems who simply gave up because they can't even get a response at all. Just this morning I went out to a third party install (this was not done in my official capacity at all, this was a friend who had a system from prior to my joining of SS) and helped them fix the issue. It was a different system, but lots of the same menu items etc if you know what I mean. Anyways, they had reached out to their installer (who surprisingly didn't respond at all) and then to the place where they had purchased the equipment (again - no response) before finally asking me if I'd try and take a look.

So your old time friend has an LV6548 and called you for some help and you went out and helped your friend program his menu items and this is significant how? I don't know about you, but helping my friends and family with problems is a daily thing for me. As for the Installer, they are always hard to reach.

There are a number of users, on this forum specifically I've noticed, who go out of their way to target any post with SS or EG4 in them and rehash the same old issues again and again, not helping the original poster with their issue, simply chiming in about their terrible experience with Signature Solar.
Rehashing of the same old issues is typically a sign that the issue has not been fixed. Nobody would be bringing up error 61 if there was a solution that worked. In my own personal dealings, on at least three occasions I asked you for some information on fixing issues and you said yes I am going to look into that and get back to you on Monday. In every one of those cases the day passed, the weeks passed and then when I reminded you and it was another wait as the months passed and the I eventually gave up. Remember the last question, Richard. How do you set the Clock and Date on the EG4LL.
I'm not here to say everyone has had the best experience with SS or EG4 - trust me, I have seen and fixed a number of issues since I've been here - but these people are not helping the community at all and simply make it harder for others like me who are trying to help get the information I need to do so. These people are making it MORE DIFFICULT for other users to get support and help to their issues.
As I said Richard I get the Play your making. You want the Benefits without the downsides.
Richard you do an excellent Job with communication. The problem is that you rarely follow through when it comes to technical solutions. You can get James to refund people money sometimes but what is really needed is someone with electronic engineering experience.

I've turned more 1 star reviews into 5 stars simply by listening and going out of my way to find a creative solution. In some cases, I've simply explained why the person was in the wrong and what they can do in the future to avoid the problem.
Yes you have and in other cases you have delayed an answer until the person got frustrated.
One thing I've consistently noticed though, is the fact that every issue on this forum, as soon as it has SS attached to it, seems to garner pages of responses from the same people over and over, meanwhile, posts with the exact same issues on other products and distributors seem to be completely ignored.
The only Distributors that have products like yours that are sometimes on the forum are Ian from Watts247 who sells the original MPP equipment that has given people almost zero problems. His customer service track record is impeccable. Unlike SS he can actually give customers instant answers because he knows the products he sells. Ian has Engineering expertise.

Then we have Dexter who competes with you in the Battery Area. He is also here constantly dealing with customers. He put in the work before he started selling his batteries to make sure it had Com capability with the popular Inverters. You guys seem to sell the product first and then try to figure out how it works afterwards.

Last edited:
I've been a strong supporter of our public interactions on the forum and numerous other venues, and I will always strive for complete transparency in our business. I personally research a number of issues on this forum when they are brought to my attention. Our tech support and sales teams are constantly growing. From a tech support point of view, they do tickets in the order received and as fast as possible - and you would be amazed by the number of tickets created that are user error and clog up the response time frame. There have been a number of times I've responded to posts on here where someone simply didn't do their research and then hope we will pick up the ball to fix the issue.

Every one of the Posts you have had about issues is a new post made by a new customer who is having an issue that most of us already know about already. Please stop trying to shove the blame on someone else. If you guys fixed the problems these posts would not exist.

You have the Growatt people who are still waiting on the magical wiring Diagram that is recommended by Signature Solar for Grid use. The last I heard was that you are not willing to release one for fear of liability. Then you have some sort of major Issue with the EG4 Lifepower4 battery. It cannot handle any significant sudden load without tripping. The post by people who are stacking 6 of them together is not much of a comfort to the person who only owns one or two of the batteries. Here is a new one from Yesterday: 2x EG4 Tripping With Magnum 4K

This problem does not happen with the EG4LL but it has it's own set of problems that revolve around a really bad cell balancing system and cells that are of questionable quality. Then we have the 6500EX which has these error 61 problems and sometimes seems to just burn up.

And lastly you guys create most of your own issues because your so focused on selling Products and you don't seem to care about the misleading information you are feeding public. You made it very clear at the launch of the 6500EX that it was not going to have any issue passing inspection because it was UL1741 Listed. After Tons of orders were made by unsuspecting customers we learn that it has no special certification, it just the same document used by the LV6548 for years. It is these kinds of actions that create a Tsunami of negative threads and then you really are going to come on here and play innocent and say you are the victims!

Last edited:
Back