diy solar

diy solar

Rant on terminology...

Yes they do. And they're a pretty impressive sleeper with the 6.2 high output package. I'd like to own one but we already have three cars (one being a Mustang GT) but only a two-car garage.
And at this particular time I'm considering purchasing a 1972 Corvette convertible, so I may need to find a larger storage facility (camper and two cars).
Wouldn't the Corvette be an interesting electric car project?
I had a C6 for a while and am extremely biased on account of my first and second loves for that thing being the manual transmission and the exhaust note.

Love EVs, but not my corvette.

Hybrid drivetrain would be neato though, like the rumored front electric drive for the ZR1.

Or a Pacer
I never owned one but a warmerish 304 in a Pacer could really skin some hides. Even the 258 model a kid in high school had was pretty peppy. Can’t remember if it was 3 or 4 speed.
Not a corvette or camaro but there just isn’t any fun, economical new vehicles these days. AMCs or a Chevy Nova or even a Beetle would just take it and keep going without major expense.
The 2022 Corvette is probably the last of the American Muscle at epitome of ice technology. The next gen is going electron fueled is what I think
Times change: this is funny at this point talking about not allowing domestic drilling etc and then we figured it out and now we’re back to 1976 mentality but it’s a funny corvette thread https://www.digitalcorvettes.com/threads/does-gm-make-money-on-the-corvette.112020/

Last edited:
First, it wasn't my intention to hijack the thread. I'm just a guy who's brain is stuck on muscle cars of the '60's and early '70's. I don't care much for the present high performance cars. No particular reason other than I worked on the old muscle cars for a living when I was young. I was even lucky enough to own a few; A '66 425 hp 427 Corvette coupe, '69 440 six-pack Super Bee, a '69 Z/28, a '73 Z/28,,,they were certainly inexpensive, back in the day. My wife and I even restored a few muscle cars over the years.
At the end of the day, I wouldn't be able to convert a Corvette to an EV. I have too much respect for the classics. But it occupies my time to think about how it could be done.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch,,,,,,
I enjoy fiddling with our new camper's solar charge system, which is very modest in comparison to most everyone else's. I certainly don't fret about eddy currents, but I do think about cable size and length, mppt controllers, lifepo4 batteries (which are great, imo), solar panels, series vs parallel (or both), my CONverter and INverter. I'm having a blast with our camper's system, and having the ability to stay off-grid for several days at a time, after which time we either need water or I have a doctor's appointment (getting old is not for lightweights).
I try hard to not be stupid on the rare occasion that I post something, but I sure enjoy reading threads on the subjects that interest me.

Last edited:
My thread. Hijack away :)
Thanks. I appreciate that. As a member on other forums, I try to avoid going off the rails. That said, it sometimes happens, after which I feel an apology is due.
Personally, what I find annoying is improper word usage, some of which is related to spell check;
here/hear, their/there/they're, too/to/two, the list is endless.
Ever tried to figure out a question that doesn't have any commas, periods or even a question mark? OMG.
Instant messaging spelling and punctuation has scrambled my brane/ brang/ brain.
I think I'll watch this thread .... it's a LOT more fun than the Covid threads ... LOL
Forums are fun. At least the ones I belong to are fun.
So, an electric Pacer. Hmmmm, would that have an impact on it's value as a collectable car? I'd think that transparent solar panels would be the way to go on something with that much glass.

No, it wouldn't. I would never do that to a Corvette of that era. A Pinto station wagon, sure.
Pinto is ugly. I would go with a Citroën DS or similar. Now that is a cool EV ;)

citroen-ds-21.jpg

Couldn’t agree more.

May the person who invented spell check forever rot in Hello.
That could have come out Jello. Or yello.
I was thinking, maybe Hollywood will do another remake of "Vanishing Point" with an electric Challenger.
I can't picture a big explosion at the end though. Maybe just the sound of eddy currents.

So....please tell me why people are worried about eddy currents when we are mainly talking about DC here?

WOW did this tread ever go for the Dispsy Doodle... LOL... what Mulberry Bush ???
I just unloaded the last of my Chevy Fleet yesterday, 1980 Chev C-10 Pickup with 107,000 Km / 66,000 miles. 1987 C1500/K15 Mil 4x4 (no odo)...
One Mopar (PT Cruise) left to go and one Mazda B4000 and POOFAGE never again.

TERMS:
Cell, Battery / Pack, Battery Bank even the simple terms get confuddled.
Worse is Terms used for Lead and terms used for Lithium Base intermixed resulting in more confusion.
Then of course the Alphabet Soup of abbreviations.... Oivey !

I would go with a Citroën DS or similar.
I just sold mine. '72 DS 21. The one in my profile pic. There is no "similar", actually... :·)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

- "Eddies," said Ford, "in the space-time continuum."
- "Ah," nodded Arthur, "is he. Is he."

--- Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Ok, late to this, but how do I safely parallel my flooded lead acid 200Ah 7S pack at 20% soc with my 420Ah 12S bank LiFePO4? Ok to parallel NMC too? With top balance can I do this without BMS?? Safely??

? this forum rocks

You know they still make Chargers, right? Lol
No… they make a new charger… the original stopped being produced a long time ago, and the new thing is NOT a charger in any sense of the word… the “hemi” in it isn’t even a continuation of THAT word…

Back