diy solar

diy solar

Rant on terminology...

Stabilizer bar is what it's called these days.
The people on the RV forums that refer to their camper's "breaks" makes the top of my head wanna blow off.
Brakes can break and when you break brakes they're broken brakes. Maybe that's why some of them get confused.

That’s correct. A better name for sway bar is torsion bar. But anti sway bar is just stupid.
They reduce "sway" so anti-sway bar is more accurate, a sway bar sounds like it causes sway if you didn't know any better. I call them sway bars just because I always have and its easier to say and most people know what it is. The correct name is actually anti-roll bar since it actually reduces body roll, sway itself is the wrong term unless you are talking about trailer anti-sway bars on hitches which are completely different:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-roll_bar

Last edited:
Anti roll bar is also a stupid description. It’s “anti roll” only when wheels are level. If wheels are not level (like going over a speed bump at an angle), your “anti roll bar” will generate more roll, or side to side rocking. The bar removes independent suspension. A bump to one wheel is transferred to the other wheel. Not a good situation. It’s definitely not a stabilizer. It’s more like a de-stabilizer.

How so?

Doesn't a resistor absorb power (I^2 * R) and then dissipates this power (or energy) through heat?
Resistors in an electric circuit are irrelevant.

The coil is what absorbs the shock - it is the component which reacts to impacts (and supports the weight of the vehicle). The damper then subsequently controls the speed of the coil's reaction and vertical oscillations a spring would naturally continue without damping. The damper then dissipates the energy.

As I said earlier, absorbing shock and dissipating energy are two different things not to be conflated.

We’re talking semantics. Before the damper can dissipate the energy, it must absorb it.

That’s correct. A better name for sway bar is torsion bar. But anti sway bar is just stupid.
If you have ever driven a truck with a top heavy load such as a truck camper .... it's easier to see why it might be considered anti sway.

need to go work on my anti swaying cage bars XD

my brakes keep braking, what do i do??? ?

Go and read up what automotive suspension mechanical engineers say about what absorbs shock, then come back.
A spring converts the shock into kinetic energy. The damper absorbs the kinetic energy. Plain and simple.

The damper absorbs the kinetic energy.
No, it dissipates the energy. It's quite a different thing.

The coil absorbs the shock by compressing (or lengthening) and storing the energy as elastic potential in the spring. The damper then helps to dissipate that stored energy in a controlled manner.

Last edited:
At least I saw some periods and question marks. And yes, I noticed a few other things,,,,

The phenomenon of current flowing between two batteries of differing SOC/voltage connected in parallel is real but the term used to describe this phenomenon isn't correct.

It's a misappropriation of a specific scientific and electrical engineering term "eddy current", which has quite a different and specific meaning unrelated to the batteries in parallel scenario.

I'm not sure whether the current which flows between batteries connected in parallel has an actual electrical engineering term. I mean it's just one example of a DC circuit and is just, well, current.
Can we not call it ‘balancing current’ ?

Anti roll bar is also a stupid description. It’s “anti roll” only when wheels are level. If wheels are not level (like going over a speed bump at an angle), your “anti roll bar” will generate more roll, or side to side rocking. The bar removes independent suspension. A bump to one wheel is transferred to the other wheel. Not a good situation. It’s definitely not a stabilizer. It’s more like a de-stabilizer.
Its sole purpose is to prevent body roll, hence anti-roll, its is not perfect at preventing body roll since it is just a simple torsion spring but its is cheap reliable and effective and its upsides far outweigh its downsides for on-road vehicles, hence them being used in nearly all modern automobiles. There are active computer controlled anti-roll suspension systems that are even better. If you have ever driven a vehicle with a disconnected sway bar you will see immediately why its used to prevent body roll and how well they work.

Not sure why you think its proper grammar to call something designed to prevent something a name that would denote its causes it, should we call anti-lock brakes lock brakes?

I believe the term automakers use typically is "stabilizer bar" at least in parts listings, this is also proper grammar, calling something sway bar is equivalent to calling it a de-stabilizer bar in english:

The prefix de- is usually affixed to verbs to denote reversal of an action. The prefix dis- is similar in some uses to de- and in other uses to un-. A- is affixed to adjectives ending in -al. Anti- means against.

I call them sway bars too knowing full well its not really the correct term, its just habit, but I wouldn't complain if someone corrected me, it would probably mean they actually know what they are talking about.

Last edited:
Back