diy solar

diy solar

Raspberry Pi - Xiaoxiang BMS over bluetooth

eabyrd

Solar Enthusiast
Good evening. Looking for some advice because I'm about whipped on this one.

I've Setup Jblance MPP-Solar on a PIzero2 and I've had some good success with it monitoring two different batteries by way of a Victron Smartshunt and a Victron BMV-712. I've had no luck getting the JKBMS function to connect to my Xiaoxiang BMS over bluetooth

I've spent the last few days trying to use jbdtool from @sshoecraft's github and even tried the Jktool he put out on github as well, but they won't connect either

The PI itself will connect to the BMS, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to query the thing without relying on somebody elses driver.

Anybody have any clues as to a path forward?

Ed

well, I chat with my jdb bms modules with python via serial all the time...so...it does work that way.

just to make sure you have everything setup right with your software use serial connections directly first.
Just get some usb-serial devices and plug in which should "prove" to you that your bms and software can chat...

If that works then you know the issue is purely a "bluetooth" problem and you can focus on that.
Try a different USB-bluetooth module on the pi.
try using a bluetooth enabled phone/laptop with the bms app to verify that the BMS is working as expected.

create test scenarios that let you verify each subsection until you find the trouble by swapping out known working items for unknowns.

well, I chat with my jdb bms modules with python via serial all the time...so...it does work that way.

just to make sure you have everything setup right with your software use serial connections directly first.
Just get some usb-serial devices and plug in which should "prove" to you that your bms and software can chat...

If that works then you know the issue is purely a "bluetooth" problem and you can focus on that.
Try a different USB-bluetooth module on the pi.
try using a bluetooth enabled phone/laptop with the bms app to verify that the BMS is working as expected.

create test scenarios that let you verify each subsection until you find the trouble by swapping out known working items for unknowns.
Please tell me more. While I cannot get the prebuilt tools to connect, I can get the BMS to connect to the Pi by using bluetoothctl within Raspian, so I think the issue is with those tools.

I have some (limited) python experience, but I've never coded like this. How do you read and interpret the bluetooth feed from the inverter? Is there a translation table? Does your script then use MQTT to broker the data out for collection elsewhere?

Anything you would be willing to share to assist me in getting started learning how to pull the information from the BMS would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Back