diy solar

diy solar

RaspBerryPi 4B Cases that support HDD/SSD (NEW DeskPi-Pro), [! BAD DEAL !]

Follow-up to my previous post today. I put mine together here and it went OK, other than a few issues:
- The 3.5mm audio plug didn't want to seat even with an uncomfortable amount of force applied. I inspected the plug, and it appeared that the last insulating ring on the plug (the one closest to the board) was deformed and slightly proud of the metal cylinder of the plug. I suspect it may have melted during the soldering process. I took an Xactco to it and trimmed it up a bit, and after that, I was able to get the pi fully seated onto the 4 connectors.
- The USB connector for the jumper ends up a bit crooked after assembly - it looks like they added some shielding and the port itself may be taller off the board. Either that, or it is just the extra thickness added by the T-shaped foam causing the misalignment. This made the case slightly harder to get on, and the port didn't fit in the cutouts in the back panel cover as well as it did before. It still went together, and the cover took some fiddling to get it to seat all the way over the ports and into the housing/enclosure. The jumper still fits fine.
- I lost track of which jumper was the new one. I have one black and one gray. I think the gray is the new one, as this is the color of the one shown in the YT video above.
- Front USB ports STILL seem non-functional - at least with regard to the Logitech unifying KB/Mouse dongle I tried to use in the front ports. Mouse and KB are unrepsonsive with it plugged into the front USB, but when plugged into the USB2 ports on the Pi (back of housing), mouse/KB work fine.

Overall, the Pi boots successfully from the SSD now, so that is a nice benefit. I may take it apart later on and see if I missed something in the assembly. As far as I remember, the USB jumper should be what enables those ports on the front (along with the SATA drive connector, so I don't think this was an assembly problem.

My replacement parts just arrived - haven't opened the box yet, but thought I would ask to see if anyone here had tried out the replacement yet. I too requested and received a refund on my original DeskPi case, so this email about the replacements was a nice surprise. I will be watching that video to see how it turned out...
I haven't had a chance to assemble mine yet, but unless they sent you two boxes you won't have the outer case, assuming that you previously returned it to them... unless of course they sent you the full 'kit'!

EDIT: Having read you previous post, it sounds as if they did! :)

I haven't had a chance to assemble mine yet, but unless they sent you two boxes you won't have the outer case, assuming that you previously returned it to them... unless of course they sent you the full 'kit'!

EDIT: Having read you previous post, it sounds as if they did! :)
I just got the replacement parts. My request for a refund was done through PayPal and they didn’t require me to send the original back to them. It has been in a box for the last 4 months or so…

UPDATE: I was sent a Notice on 2021-04-25 2:10 AM that replacement components were being shipped out as noted above.
It is now May 20th and Tracking is still Dead ! Nothing at all.
So is it a Joke, Farce or Lie ?
Words mean little when Actions are contradictory.
Pretty Sad IMO... They should not say they are sending something and then don't.

It is my guess... and it is only a guess, that they have sent the replacement components to you, but they are taking longer than anticipated to reach you in Canada.
Why not drop them a line, asking them to confirm that they were actually dispatched, and if they have a tracking number for them?

It is my guess... and it is only a guess, that they have sent the replacement components to you, but they are taking longer than anticipated to reach you in Canada.
Why not drop them a line, asking them to confirm that they were actually dispatched, and if they have a tracking number for them?
I did e-mail them today so we shall see.

Back