diy solar

diy solar

Raw Noob Question

socker_dad

I'm working on building Will's 48-volt system. Since the panel is on back order, I started with the solar panels. I have 4 200-watt RichSolar panels that are hooked up in 2 pairs of series (panels 1 & 2, and then 3 & 4). The pairs are then hooked up in parallel.

The individual panels are rated at:
  • 200W max power (Pmax)
  • 20.4v Max power voltage (Vmp)
  • 9.80A Max power current (Imp)
  • 24.3v Open circuit voltage
  • 10.2A Short circuit current (Isc)
  • 1000VDC Max system voltage (Vmax)
I put my multimeter on them this afternoon (about 5:00 on a almost clear sky) on 200-volt DC and read 94.3. Is this a good reading? Either way, how do I know?

The voltage tells me the panels are hooked up 4 in series. Also, i don’t see VOC listed, but my guess for that voltage is around 24 volts, so the readings You have make sense 4 in series.

I found solar panel wiring to be labeled opposite of each other with what two different data sheets for the same product, but multimeter never lies. I sometimes make incorrect measurements, but the multimeter never lies.

I'm working on building Will's 48-volt system. Since the panel is on back order, I started with the solar panels. I have 4 200-watt RichSolar panels that are hooked up in 2 pairs of series (panels 1 & 2, and then 3 & 4). The pairs are then hooked up in parallel.

The individual panels are rated at:
  • 200W max power (Pmax)
  • 20.4v Max power voltage (Vmp)
  • 9.80A Max power current (Imp)
  • 24.3v Open circuit voltage
  • 10.2A Short circuit current (Isc)
  • 1000VDC Max system voltage (Vmax)
I put my multimeter on them this afternoon (about 5:00 on a almost clear sky) on 200-volt DC and read 94.3. Is this a good reading? Either way, how do I know?
Do you mean 2s 2p configuration (two panels in series for each string then you put the two strings in parallel)l?
If that is what you have then the Voltage should be around 50V.
Did you verify that your meter is good and the meter's battery is good?
To get 94V it means all 4 panels are connected in series.

Back