diy solar

diy solar

Re-Purposed Generator Housing

SolarNewbeee

I was trying to come up with a mounting solution for a mobile solar system I could remove from my FJ whilst not overlanding/camping. I had a cheap generator with a bad motor and decided I'd use it for my mobile solar system. Some of my concerns are the amount of heat inside the vehicle when its not running during the summer and I've heard tell of poisonous gasses emitted whilst the battery is charging, which would/could theoretically occur whilst I'm driving down the highway. What say you Solar experts?IMG_4276.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4280.jpeg
    IMG_4280.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I was trying to come up with a mounting solution for a mobile solar system I could remove from my FJ whilst not overlanding/camping. I had a cheap generator with a bad motor and decided I'd use it for my mobile solar system. Some of my concerns are the amount of heat inside the vehicle when its not running during the summer and I've heard tell of poisonous gasses emitted whilst the battery is charging, which would/could theoretically occur whilst I'm driving down the highway. What say you Solar experts?

AGM and LFP properly configured, HIGHLY unlikely.

Flooded lead acid? Almost certainly.

Welcome to the forum.

AGM and LFP properly configured, HIGHLY unlikely.

Flooded lead acid? Almost certainly.
Thanks, Snoobler...How about a Gel battery?

Renogy 12V 100AH Deep Cycle Hybrid Gel Battery w/Battery Box for Solar Wind RV Marine Camping ups Wheelchair Trolling Motor​

Gel is a sealed-type, so essentially the same as AGM in the context of this discussion.

Love your idea to reuse that frame,,, Now i have ideas to do the same.. Good Job..

Love your idea to reuse that frame,,, Now i have ideas to do the same.. Good Job..
Thank you! I'll be re-arranging the components this weekend to accommodate a 30 Amp charge controller vs. the 10Amp I originally bought.

Back