diy solar

diy solar

Ready for Testing

echavez123

After spending hours watching Youtube and talking with an electrician to review the schematic, and after about 80 hours worth of work, my travel trailer is ready for testing. Here are the specs:

300AH SOK lithium batteries, 3 x 200W = 600W solar, VIc MPPT 100V-50A, Vic Multiplus 2000VA-12 volt, Vic Lynx distributor fused, Vic Smartshunt 500, Vic VE.Bus Smart Dongle, Vic MK3-USB, Power Switch fused, all cabling ...

The most time consuming part was running cables from existing Distribution Panel to the Inverter, and running cables from Solar to MPPT. A lot of time spent making cables to spec. This was definitely a learning process.

Result:
1) Solar controller is charging the battery bank
2) Inverter draws power from batteries as needed for A/C and D/C. I can even run the microwave.
3) When connected to shore power, everything works as normal.
4) When disconnecting from shore power, everything switches over to Inverter mode automatically

Fine tuning: The MK3-USB interface to the laptop computer was essential for setting Lithium battery charge voltages to mfg specs

I guess the next step is to take the trailer out for a couple of overnighters to debug any unforseen issues.

Can you think of any issues I might have overlooked? I am completely new at this.

I guess the next step is to take the trailer out for a couple of overnighters to debug any unforseen issues.
I would run a couple full charge/discharge cycles before leaving home. You can throw a blanket over your panels to simulate cloudy days or partial shading (and help discharge batteries to see what happens when they get low/empty).

Totally agree with above post.
What is the point of going to a remote location without first debugging the system right at home.

Back