diy solar

diy solar

Ready to harness the power.

bestclifton in Fl

I am big time newbee on solar. I am 100% off the grid. Miles to the nearest power pole. I have 10- 230w panels set up. Optimum Voltage is 29.2v. I have 10 more in storage, but plan on using them in a different area of my property. Roughly 300' away from the current set up. Not sure what size inverter and battery controllers to use. on current set up. It was suggested I use Schneider Xantrex MPPT 80/600 charge controller with the Conext XW PRO 6848 Inverter/Charger.

I just saw Wills video below. Wondering if it would work, be more economical.

DIY 2000 watt, 24v Solar Power System w/ LiFePO4 Batteries​

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited:
There is usually a label on the back of the panel that includes all the technical details of the panel.
Please post a picture of that label.

The next bit of info to find is the maximum voltage that the charge controller can accept on the pv side.

Does the 80/600 not represent 80 amps 600 volts on tne charge controller mentioned above?
I missed that.
I think it does.
You should have plenty of headroom for voltage and amperage.
I'm going to bow out and let someone who knows more about the pv side of things take over.

Does the 80/600 not represent 80 amps 600 volts on tne charge controller mentioned above.
I missed that.
I think it does.
You should have plenty of headroom for voltage and amperage.
I'm going to bow out and let someone who knows more about the pv side of things take over.
10-4. Glad you answered and got me the spread sheet. I'll see what I can figure out. Thank you

That charge controller looks like a good fit for your 4600W of panels. IF you do a 48V system.
24V system would cut the watts it can handle in half.

10s2p hits the MPPT voltage range, no need for fuse per string.
One string 300' away, 8 amps. Even if using 12 awg, only 3% voltage drop from 290 Vmp. But 10 awg would be good, not too expensive or difficult to pull.

Do 48V, even if less economical. More capability.
Select an inverter that can be stacked to get more power later.

Alternate approach, instead of DC coupled, is AC coupled.
I use SMA Sunny Island battery inverters (which form an AC grid), and PV is on grid-tie Sunny Boy.
This is particularly good if you have AC loads distributed in multiple locations and PV arrays also distributed; they all connect by the AC wires.

That charge controller looks like a good fit for your 4600W of panels. IF you do a 48V system.
24V system would cut the watts it can handle in half.

10s2p hits the MPPT voltage range, no need for fuse per string.
One string 300' away, 8 amps. Even if using 12 awg, only 3% voltage drop from 290 Vmp. But 10 awg would be good, not too expensive or difficult to pull.

Do 48V, even if less economical. More capability.
Select an inverter that can be stacked to get more power later.

Alternate approach, instead of DC coupled, is AC coupled.
I use SMA Sunny Island battery inverters (which form an AC grid), and PV is on grid-tie Sunny Boy.
This is particularly good if you have AC loads distributed in multiple locations and PV arrays also distributed; they all connect by the AC wires.
Thank you. Appreciate the input.

Back