diy solar

diy solar

Ready to order system after review please

West Coast Canuck

I am building a 48v 272ah Lishen battery pack with mpp solar Lv6548 in two Phases. Please review my hand made simple schematic and any comments would be greatly appreciated. The 1st phase is one LV 6548 and 120 volt to critical load subpanel. It will have a 16s 48v 272ah battery storage. 2nd Phase will add a second LV 6548 and another 16s 48v 272ah battery backup. All A/C wiring to critical Subpanel and connections to LV 6548 are complete by electrician and are not shown in drawings, solar Panels will start this spring and I will get into the design after Phase 1 and 2. Items needed from members are:
Main T type fuse size I calculate 200amp
Wire size for system I calculate 2/0
Shunt with monitor I calculate 200 amp
Bus bars for Pos and Neg for Phase 1 and 2 I have 48v 300 amp Cllena 4post 3/8 studs
ANL fuse at each LV 6548 I calculate 154a max current * 1.20 =184amp so use 180a fuse
Please any comments would be wonderful !!

Attachments

• LV 6548.jpg
    LV 6548.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Energy Audit.jpg
    Energy Audit.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Schematic.jpg
    Schematic.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 46
Wire size for system I calculate 2/0
For these, it will depend not only on volts and amps but also on wire run length. Here is an easy calculator, shoot for less than 3% loss:

Have you looked into what panels you might want and how they can be configured for your SCC? It'd be a good exercise to avoid any expensive surprises.

The class t fuses should be between the disconnect switches and the batteries.
The disconnect switches can be anywhere between the class t fuses and the busbars.
Other than that it looks good.

Actually the anl fuses are a bit small.
6500 ac watts / .85 conversion factor / 48 = ~159 dc amps
~159 dc amps * 1.25 fuse headroom = ~199 fuse amps.

Thank you for your input, I agree with you on the anl fuse but worry about the LV 6548 getting fried. It is a little scary on my fist build. my thought was to go one size less and if it becomes a problem step up to a 200 amp. I ant believe how nieve I was even Mr Sandals pointed me the help center to do an energy audit which put me on the right track to get into DIY solar build, thank you all for your advice and input

Thank you, I will change my anl fuse to 200 amp, I checked the voltage drop of 2/0 battery cable i have and the table shows .5v drop in 3 meters and shows amperage at 195a. My cable is battery cable 2/0 60v 105 degrees, I hope this will work

For these, it will depend not only on volts and amps but also on wire run length. Here is an easy calculator, shoot for less than 3% loss:

Have you looked into what panels you might want and how they can be configured for your SCC? It'd be a good exercise to avoid any expensive surprises.
I can't wait to work on solar panel design, want to get batteries and inverter all set up and when the weather is good in the spring start panels, i checked with our local city and they want an engineer to sign of on roof loading and that will go into the engineer in April. I little concerned about my peaked 45 degree roof as the sun goes from west to south there will be some shading on panels. I thought of more sections of Parallel panels but the LV6548 only allows 18a and 250v so I may have a lot of series connections not really what I wanted, Thanks again for the help

Actually the anl fuses are a bit small.
6500 ac watts / .85 conversion factor / 48 = ~159 dc amps
~159 dc amps * 1.25 fuse headroom = ~199 fuse amps.
Yes I got it 200 amp ANL Fuse, Is it really needed after the bus bar or just good practice, I intend to add it either way

Yes I got it 200 amp ANL Fuse, Is it really needed after the bus bar or just good practice, I intend to add it either way
If the wire size is the same as from the battery then not strictly required but it is good practice.

Fuses protect the circuit, not just the wires..........all of it.....should be sized for the lowest rated device..

I am doing the same thing as West Coast Chuck. Can I get a quick review of my plans and component setup and wiring. Maybe this schematic will also help others. The LV6548 is such an amazing option for all. Are there other schematics in this forum based on this unit and the Lishen batteries?

I am going with a larger battery bank to start. Though I could be talked out of this. I live in sunny San Diego and don't really need 2 days of capacity.

The solar is to be mounted on (2) 40foot shipping containers and the remaining components will be located at the back wall of one container. Going with UL listed panels in hopes of converting this system to my 4200sf house once built over the next 2 years. currently this will be powering my lager 5th wheel on site.

Any additional thoughts on scalability or modularity with adding the second LV6548 and a second battery bank in the future would be helpful.

Attachments

• Energy Audit.pdf
    77.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Solar outline 1.pdf
    116.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Solar outline 2.pdf
    112.8 KB · Views: 22
I am doing the same thing as West Coast Chuck. Can I get a quick review of my plans and component setup and wiring. Maybe this schematic will also help others. The LV6548 is such an amazing option for all. Are there other schematics in this forum based on this unit and the Lishen batteries?

I am going with a larger battery bank to start. Though I could be talked out of this. I live in sunny San Diego and don't really need 2 days of capacity.

The solar is to be mounted on (2) 40foot shipping containers and the remaining components will be located at the back wall of one container. Going with UL listed panels in hopes of converting this system to my 4200sf house once built over the next 2 years. currently this will be powering my lager 5th wheel on site.

Any additional thoughts on scalability or modularity with adding the second LV6548 and a second battery bank in the future would be helpful.
Nice build, the main thing that jumps out is the Overkill 100a BMS is too small. The LV 6548 will need 135a at 48v to provide 6,500w. The BMS should be de-rated down by at least 75%, some de-rate to 50%. With that in mind you would have 100a x .75=75a. Then 48v x 75a = 3,600w available per phase. It appears your energy audit suggests 5,000-6,000w load. You will need at least a 200a BMS for each inverter, 250a would be better.

Nice build, the main thing that jumps out is the Overkill 100a BMS is too small. The LV 6548 will need 135a at 48v to provide 6,500w. The BMS should be de-rated down by at least 75%, some de-rate to 50%. With that in mind you would have 100a x .75=75a. Then 48v x 75a = 3,600w available per phase. It appears your energy audit suggests 5,000-6,000w load. You will need at least a 200a BMS for each inverter, 250a would be better.

Thank you Markver. I appreciate you taking a look. This is good information and I have ordered the DALY BMS 16S 48V 200A Actually I have also ordered two of the LV6548 because I realized that I needed 240 Volt from the start for my RV. However, be aware that the EVE280ah batteries are on major backorder so I found a company on Alibaba that is sending me the Ningde 271AH as grade A brand new product from CATL for same price. I need this system up and running soon so I went for it.

I have updated the plans to show more detail on how I will be wiring the system and stringing the solar together for those who are interested.

Attachments

• Shipping Container Solar-S-1.0.pdf
    128.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Shipping Container Solar-S-2.0.pdf
    117.2 KB · Views: 5
Back