diy solar

diy solar

Real demo of a Magnus effect vertical axis wind turbine

Interesting..... but it seems pretty complicated and inefficient.

Interesting..... but it seems pretty complicated and inefficient.
I think efficiency can be improved in the following ways
  1. increase the efficiency of the rotor,
    • Increase aspect ratio (slim and long) to improve lift-drag ratio.
  2. reduce the energy consumption of the motor
    • Reduce the mass of the rotor to make the inertia lighter
    • Recycle the energy when the motor decelerates and reuse it

The problem with VAWT's is that they need a large swept area to become remotely cost effective. In the sense that making it, and improving on it over time will be offset by the power that it actually generates.
Not to mention all wind turbines, wheter HAWT, or VAWT need a huge generator to keep rpm's down as we really do not want one of the blades play lawn dart (I miss you @Porch ) and kill the local wild life.

I can tell you more but I get the sense you are here only promoting something. Based on your activity. I'll apologize upfront if that is not the case but you'll have to demonstrate a bit more commitment and also non commercial interest in my taste in order to be able to pick my brain.

You could also follow my threads though. As all is open source eventually. Please go ahead.

Last edited:
The problem with VAWT's is that they need a large swept area to become remotely cost effective. In the sense that making it, and improving on it over time will be offset by the power that it actually generates.
Not to mention all wind turbines, wheter HAWT, or VAWT need a huge generator to keep rpm's down as we really do not want one of the blades play lawn dart (I miss you @Porch ) and kill the local wild life.

I can tell you more but I get the sense you are here only promoting something. Based on your activity. I'll apologize upfront if that is not the case but you'll have to demonstrate a bit more commitment and also non commercial interest in my taste in order to be able to pick my brain.

You could also follow my threads though. As all is open source eventually. Please go ahead.
Due to many problems, the vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT) has not been successfully developed at present. The general public has a bad impression of VAWT, and I don't think it should be. VAWT has many advantages, such as no need for yaw mechanism, low center of gravity, etc., it is very suitable for small and medium-sized applications. But low efficiency is its main problem. I have some ideas for this, and also did some experiments to clarify the problem, The experiments in the video I've posted are all done by myself, which I think fits the DIY spirit of this forum. I'll continue to suggest ways to improve VAWT although this will be controversial.

The experiments in the video I've posted are all done by myself, which I think fits the DIY spirit of this forum. I'll continue to suggest ways to improve VAWT although this will be controversial.
I believe your efforts are welcomed by everyone with a sane mind. That would mean most of us here. So controversial or not I'd say have at it!

I believe your efforts are welcomed by everyone with a sane mind. That would mean most of us here. So controversial or not I'd say have at it!
ugg, I forgot to mention.. that have at it really meant.

go do your thing if you have commercial interests. But then do not come asking here for questions in a DIY forum.

or referring to what looks like a sales pitch

If you intend to be open about things then let's see some of your current plans. stl, skp, gcode what ever it is you can share. that will prove you are here in a DIY natute,
If not then please understand I am light years ahead of you with open source plans that will be available for everyone that aks at this stage in time or when I finally hit the mark will be publisched here as a resource. You can never hope to get any commercial benefit from the direction you seem to want to go.

Back