diy solar

diy solar

(Really) Off-Grid EVAL with the Sol-Ark 5K - True off-grid is the ONLY place to test Off-Grid ability. (or stay on the grid).

The inverter is a Sol-Ark 5K
That is simply one component. From the batteries to the inverter and out to the pump is a lot of things that must work together to deliver the most available power. I am trying to be generous here but you seem to have made up your mind that the problem is your inverter. My test showed that a HF inverter of lesser rating than your SolArk could start a 1/2hp pump under pressure and operate it without problems.

Designing a good electrical system requires understanding all the parts.

Even though I'm not a fan of Sol-Ark. I don't think that this blame can be put on them. They didn't size your system.
it is a split phase inverter. and I am going to pick up a 240V pump today, I'm thinking this should work but I DO want to have a washing machine someday, but I didn't want to have to buy a $1500 one. LOL
Ok great. Then yes, an autotransformer will help. I personally wouldn't use a split-phase high frequency inverter. But if I did, it would have a transformer of some kind connected.

That is simply one component. From the batteries to the inverter and out to the pump is a lot of things that must work together to deliver the most available power. I am trying to be generous here but you seem to have made up your mind that the problem is your inverter. My test showed that a HF inverter of lesser rating than your SolArk could start a 1/2hp pump under pressure and operate it without problems.

Designing a good electrical system requires understanding all the parts.
I have a 3500 watt Trace and a 3500 watt Outback that can do it. Of course they are a heavy, low frequency units.

I have a 3500 watt Trace and a 3500 watt Outback that can do it. Of course they are a heavy, low frequency units.
Which it why running a test starting a 120vAC 1/2 hp pump on my 3kw HF inverter was of interest. The OP review of his SolArk lacks enough detail to know if it is a bad unit or there is an issue with how he has it setup. Since he seems bent on going another direction I am bowing out of this Thread.

Some motorized devices that only use (typically) 3-5 amps continuous to up to 15 amps start surge (@1800 watts) may not run on this system! Even though the system is capable of 5000 Watts! The solution ( that's NOT INCLUDED in the kit) is an add-on component that costs about $700 more.
What is that add-on component?

House is a tiny home. 600sf..... typically load is 500W.... that's basically a refer and lights. with no load at all on the system it would not run a 1/2hp single phase pump. motor struggles to start and will not.....but starts to heat up after a couple short attempts. called the dealer and they verified that this system will have trouble with induction motors. the same pump runs fine and without issues with a small 1500 (2200W peak) generator that runs the house as described @ typical load.

Likely a 1/2hp 240V pump would have worked.
Likely a 5000W 120V inverter would have worked.

Page 33 says,

"Grid Type:
• 220V Single Phase (Call us before using)
• 120/240V Split Phase (North America)
• 120/208V 3 Phase"

The 120/208V configuration is three inverters, each producing 120V and 120 degrees out of phase with each other.
Can you run your SolArk by itself as a single-phase 120V 5000W inverter? That may fix all your problems.

that's a fair question I don't have a good answer for yet. but my next door neighbor 1/2 mile away is getting ready to buy a system and he wants me to pick one out for him. I'm looking at 2 different vendors with almost identical package. (2)13Kw inverters, @10Kw(PV), @28Kw storage.

For your 120V need, Sunny Island would be about the best out there. 5750W continuous (at nominal temperature), 11,000W 3-second surge.

its actually a shallow (jet) well pump.... pulls 3-5 amps continuous, less than 12 amps surge. The Sol-ark was unable to run it at all- even with the circuit isolated.

To me "shallow" is < 32' deep, and a suction pump can pull out the water.
"Jet" is a venturi ejector system which can work to significant depth.
How deep is your well?

(120V single phase 1/2hp) given the slow update response of a digital ammeter, I also have an analog one.

For starting surge, you need a meter with "inrush" feature.
I got the 1000A Harbor Freight one.
Be sure to get one with DC as well, good for batteries and PV.

Split phase 240/120. It's the Sol-Ark (5K) before they started offering the EMP hardened units.
If it is split phase 240v than each 120v leg is likely only 2500w max. In practice this could be lower since an imbalanced leg issue can arise. I would guess this is the cause of your pump starting problems.

What is that add-on component?

Likely a 1/2hp 240V pump would have worked.
Likely a 5000W 120V inverter would have worked.

Page 33 says,

"Grid Type:
• 220V Single Phase (Call us before using)
• 120/240V Split Phase (North America)
• 120/208V 3 Phase"

The 120/208V configuration is three inverters, each producing 120V and 120 degrees out of phase with each other.
Can you run your SolArk by itself as a single-phase 120V 5000W inverter? That may fix all your problems.

For your 120V need, Sunny Island would be about the best out there. 5750W continuous (at nominal temperature), 11,000W 3-second surge.

To me "shallow" is < 32' deep, and a suction pump can pull out the water.
"Jet" is a venturi ejector system which can work to significant depth.
How deep is your well?

For starting surge, you need a meter with "inrush" feature.
I got the 1000A Harbor Freight one.
Be sure to get one with DC as well, good for batteries and PV.
the pump is a shallow well pump...25ft... 1/2hp single phase. works fine with the generator. going out for a 240V jet pump today. I don't have a well and don't intend one. we're hauling water and using above ground storage tanks. if the 240v works, and I'm betting it does with confidence - I'm going the mount the old one on the water hauler with the generator and also have the water hauler for fire fighting purposes. I do have the manual for the Sol-ark. it's a 5K split phase 240/120.

the pump is a shallow well pump...25ft... 1/2hp single phase. works fine with the generator. going out for a 240V jet pump today. I don't have a well and don't intend one. we're hauling water and using above ground storage tanks. if the 240v works, and I'm betting it does with confidence - I'm going the mount the old one on the water hauler with the generator and also have the water hauler for fire fighting purposes. I do have the manual for the Sol-ark. it's a 5K split phase 240/120.
Before you buy a new pump many pump motors can be wired dual voltage either 120 or 240. Check the name plate.

Last edited:
If it is split phase 240v than each 120v leg is likely only 2500w max. In practice this could be lower since an imbalanced leg issue can arise. I would guess this is the cause of your pump starting problems.
that is part of it. but I did isolate the draw to only the pump when I made every attempt to solve the problem. I even thought the pump was bad, but it worked fine when I tested it on the generator...but for the house with nothing else running, the inverter still wouldn't run it. other than the pump,, my loads are well balanced, but I typically don't have any load over 500w on either leg at any time. exception is when running one of the mini splits....in economy mode they level off around 500w, in full turbo 1600w... but they are single phase so I watch my load when using them.

that is part of it. but I did isolate the draw to only the pump when I made every attempt to solve the problem. I even thought the pump was bad, but it worked fine when I tested it on the generator...but for the house with nothing else running, the inverter still wouldn't run it. other than the pump,, my loads are well balanced, but I typically don't have any load over 500w on either leg at any time. exception is when running one of the mini splits....in economy mode they level off around 500w, in full turbo 1600w... but they are single phase so I watch my load when using them.
The pump imbalanced the leg all by itself. A 5000w 240v split phase is not a 5000w 120v setup. You would need a 10,000w 240v split phase to equal that.

FWIW: The Jet pumps, particularly the 120v ones, I've been around are some of the nastiest loads to run off grid.

In that case, you only need a pump capable of pushing the volume and pressure you need.
That might be just a SurFlow pump instead of induction motor and centrifugal pump:

The link I found was for split-phase 240/120 SolArk, and it says,

"If 120/208V, the L1 and L2 are phase specific. So, you may have to swap Grid L1 L2 for 208V applications. Inverter power cycle is required each time the input/output voltage is changed"

This suggests you can make the same swap and have the two 120V outputs in parallel rather than series 120/240.

Just a wiring configuration change may fix your problem.

In that case, you only need a pump capable of pushing the volume and pressure you need.
That might be just a SurFlow pump instead of induction motor and centrifugal pump:

The link I found was for split-phase 240/120 SolArk, and it says,

"If 120/208V, the L1 and L2 are phase specific. So, you may have to swap Grid L1 L2 for 208V applications. Inverter power cycle is required each time the input/output voltage is changed"

This suggests you can make the same swap and have the two 120V outputs in parallel rather than series 120/240.

Just a wiring configuration change may fix your problem.
If his SolArk has the ability to be setup for full power on just one 120v output (Some of these can be wired that way) than he would not need a 240v pump. However if his home is wired as a 240v split phase setup he would have to jumper the two legs of his breaker panel together and do without any 240v appliances.

Edit: This may be a problem if he feeds his home with 240v from the generators. So before doing this all things need to be evaluated.

Last edited:
Lots of good discussion here already and great description of off grid @Outpost_51.
I'm surprised no one has asked what the wire gauge is from batteries to invertor. I'd assume it's correct but could see some of these 'kits' out there cutting costs wherever possible.
If you decide to swap inverters you should look at Schneider and also recommend your neighbor do the same.
Echoing what others have already stated. Grundfos pumps, inrush clamper with AC/DC.

I've been running a 'cheap' tp6048 inverter semi off grid for a few months, it has no issues starting my goulds 1hp deep well pump sitting around 275' but the lights flicker when my washer agitates.

My next system will be truly off grid, when I find land. I've already decided I'll be running at least 1 Schneider XW Pro and a grundfos pump. I know I'll have zero issues running table saws, chop saws, compressors, electric dryers or just about anything else I want.

Yes, off-grid can use a lot of power. I ended up building a standalone power system for my bore pump and desalination plant.

We often use well over 100kwh of power/day.

I definitely wouldn’t use the Sol-Ark style of inverter for my needs. I bought a Victron Phoenix as my cheapie inverter, but for essential loads I will stick with SMA.

Where i live, everyone fits your definition of off-grid. Many of them would easily have their energy needs covered by the Sol-Ark. Some people run their homes on systems smaller than I have in my caravan.

Before you buy a new pump many pump motors can be wired either 120 or 240. Check the name plate.

The pump imbalanced the leg all by itself. A 5000w 240v split phase is not a 5000w 120v setup. You would need a 10,000w 240v split phase to equal that.
It would have been nice, but the pump wasn't switchable to 240v. I had ordered one from Lowe's (2wks ago) and picked it up today.

and for the surge on one leg...(that single phase pump) yes it's heavy. but I'm only seeing it right around 12-15 amps --- but the mystery is mostly in the inconsistency of the struggle to start. again (for reference) there's a 15amp (quick throw) breaker on the generator that never trips, and when the pump starts when I plug it in the the generator directly and it runs fine. but when I plug the pump into an outlet on solar ( I have one in the power house by the inverter) even with nothing at all running..... the pump won't start....it moans and groans and barely turns....wants to overheat. ( does NOT throw the 15A circuit breaker for the outlet) and I have to quit before something gets ugly.

I did pick up the new pump today that I ordered almost 2 weeks ago. it's a superior, 1/2hp 240V. It specs at 8amp surge and 4amp constant. I just did a test connect when I got it home and it works absolutely fine on solar. I can't really read the surge, it starts right up and runs great. levels off right at 4.4 amps. I'll fiddle with it again tomorrow and see if I can read the surge better. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to put it in service for the temporary water system while I build the water house and manifold for our water sources.

The biggest issue I see right now, basically is just the uncertainty of what to expect when I get something else with a motor, induction type or otherwise, especially if it's a single phase...as from this experience I pretty much know what to expect, (now). I really do want a washing machine - but now....am I looking at a $750 auto-transformer to have a $400 washer, or $1000 washer to omit a $750 auto-transformer...? so it's coin toss. but I AM leaning towards the auto-transformer because I will then have the benefit of an overall balanced load on the inverter.

The bottom line for me is, as a "true" and completely off-grid setup with the Sol-Ark Inverter, (because it's transformer-less) - it's very important to have a balanced load "even without" an issue with a single phase induction motor. But as a matter of being finicky, I've already done that in my distribution panel for the most part, and I'm very aware of what's running and when.

Lots of good discussion here already and great description of off grid @Outpost_51.
I'm surprised no one has asked what the wire gauge is from batteries to invertor. I'd assume it's correct but could see some of these 'kits' out there cutting costs wherever possible.
If you decide to swap inverters you should look at Schneider and also recommend your neighbor do the same.
Echoing what others have already stated. Grundfos pumps, inrush clamper with AC/DC.

I've been running a 'cheap' tp6048 inverter semi off grid for a few months, it has no issues starting my goulds 1hp deep well pump sitting around 275' but the lights flicker when my washer agitates.

My next system will be truly off grid, when I find land. I've already decided I'll be running at least 1 Schneider XW Pro and a grundfos pump. I know I'll have zero issues running table saws, chop saws, compressors, electric dryers or just about anything else I want.

If his SolArk has the ability to be setup for full power on just one 120v output (Some of these can be wired that way) than he would not need a 240v pump. However if his home is wired as a 240v split phase setup he would have to jumper the two legs of his breaker panel together and do without any 240v appliances.

Edit: This may be a problem if he feeds his home with 240v from the generators. So before doing this all things need to be evaluated.
I did setup a generator input to "grid" input for the inverter. This works VERY well and is HIGHLY configurable. ... I mean awesome. The inverter will parallel to the generator and use both PV and Gen at the same time. only drawback to that is the inverter will follow the cycle speed of the generator....that's what my other post is about....trying to clean up that power. There's a solution someone suggested and I will try it sometime in the future. but I very rarely need the generator. so it's not on my hot list.

Back