diy solar

diy solar

Really this long to top balance?

Ok guys, this isn't rocket science but I must be missing something. It sure is getting frustrating. Even after using my new power supply leads (10AWG stranded) things didn't really move in about 20 hours.

So, I removed the existing 10 AWG solid wires that I had connecting the cells and made some new 6 AWG jumpers. You can see my old setup of the 10 AWG solid jumpers in the photo below. Thought maybe twisting the wire ends wasn't making a good connection.

I also took a picture of my existing setup which is using the 6AWG stranded with freshly crimped copper connectors.

I dialed in my power supply to 3.65V and set it for 9A with the output off. Once I turn on the output, with the battery connected, the PS display goes to 3.48V. Voltage measured at the battery with the PS connected is 3.36V. Not sure what to make of this.

Can somebody take a look at my photos and tell me if I have something wired wrong or if this is typically how it works. Is my PS the issue???
Thank you.

Attachments

• Previous wiring 10awg.jpg
    Previous wiring 10awg.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 15
  • New wiring 6awg.jpg
    New wiring 6awg.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 15
  • PS at 3.65.jpg
    PS at 3.65.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 13
  • PS at 3.48.jpg
    PS at 3.48.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 14
This is wired correct. To check amperage flow from the power supply, you can get a clamp meter. I have an older version of this and is fine for what we do:

You ought to be able to test the amperage with a regular multimeter on amp setting, but I would want to do it pon Somethign else besides the big battery pack.

If you voltage is 3.48, it should start getting higher soon. That’s more than I charge my batties on the absorption cycle and that’s between 80%m- 90%. If the votlage has been stuck at 3.48 for weeks, its a problem.

It is in CC (Constant Current: Voltage is varied to maintain constant current flowing through the load) mode right now, you can see CC LED is on, that is why the Voltage drops down to 3.48V on the charger so the current will be limit to 9A as set, it will go into CV when the batteries are getting full.

Last edited:
Ok guys, this isn't rocket science but I must be missing something. It sure is getting frustrating. Even after using my new power supply leads (10AWG stranded) things didn't really move in about 20 hours.

Correct. It's not rocket science. It's arithmetic and requires a basic understanding of electrical fundamentals as well as how LFP charges.

Per my previous calculation:

604Ah needs to be input.

604/9 = 67 hours.

You have a ways to go.

So, I removed the existing 10 AWG solid wires that I had connecting the cells and made some new 6 AWG jumpers. You can see my old setup of the 10 AWG solid jumpers in the photo below. Thought maybe twisting the wire ends wasn't making a good connection.

Those interconnects weren't great. I assumed you were using bus bars like most.

I also took a picture of my existing setup which is using the 6AWG stranded with freshly crimped copper connectors.

Much better.

I dialed in my power supply to 3.65V and set it for 9A with the output off. Once I turn on the output, with the battery connected, the PS display goes to 3.48V. Voltage measured at the battery with the PS connected is 3.36V. Not sure what to make of this.

This has already been explained to you. You programmed the SET voltage on the power supply - it's maximum. The two connected items must be at the voltage dictated by the resistance and current flow between them. The difference in these two values is the voltage drop between the power supply and the battery due to the resistance in in all components: battery, wires, power supply.

This is normal.

Can somebody take a look at my photos and tell me if I have something wired wrong or if this is typically how it works. Is my PS the issue???
Thank you.

Nothing is wrong. What you don't realize is that you are charging at extremely low rates for these cells. 604A is the 0.5C rate for this 4P battery. You are charging at.... 9A or 0.0075C

The vast majority of charging occurs between 3.30V and 3.40V, especially at these low rates. The rise from 3.45 to 3.65V will likely only take a few hours.

There are probably a dozen threads about "why aren't my cells charging? It's been X hours, and the voltage has barely moved."

This is normal. If you see current flowing to the cells via the power supply readout, all is well.

Some cells ship as low as 30% SoC, so, you might need to charge for 846Ah/9A = 94 hours.

Be patient. Embrace the arithmetic.

Good news! I checked on things this morning and the amps were around 1. Measured the battery voltage and it was 3.63.
I'm going to give it just a little more time on the charger to get that 3.65V. Thanks to all that helped me understand this.

Starting at 12.75v took ~3 days for my 5A LiFePo4 charger (I measured 4.9A) to hit the shut off 14.4v threshold. This was a 12.8V 300ah battery. Did 2 of them before they go in series.

Back