diy solar

diy solar

Reasons to avoid cheap Amazon DIY grid tie inverters

Danny

Solar Enthusiast
The reasons why I changed my mind and did not use the cheap Amazon grid tie inverters. I think most of us should at least consider our options and the risks we are taking by not implementing UL inverters. You can still DIY a UL system and your family will likely be safer.

Interesting video, but I am still compelled to lean towards the cheaper side of things. If I was looking for a system to run the house I would be more inclined to go the more professional route. But really I am just looking for a system that will offset about a 1kw load. And will probably be shooting for around a 2kw inverter capacity to give me a little buffer. Ideally I would like to have a battery system and a secondary inverter to use as a backup during a power outage, but would be less effort than dragging out a generator. But the secondary system would be more of a solar generator carrying small household loads and not tied to the house or grid. A small grid tie system would allow me to utilize panels that would otherwise sit idle until the power went out.

These are not the places to save money. I paid $159 extra to get the UL version of the inverter I bought. Cheaper than fire insurance.

I definitley understand that, and was told the same thing about the cheap 3d printer I bought. But took steps to mitigate the risk on it. I know I shouldn't but I think about the guy in Tommy Boy wanting a guarantee on the box when I think of the UL listing. Doesn't mean something can't happen just more accountability if it does.

I definitley understand that, and was told the same thing about the cheap 3d printer I bought. But took steps to mitigate the risk on it. I know I shouldn't but I think about the guy in Tommy Boy wanting a guarantee on the box when I think of the UL listing. Doesn't mean something can't happen just more accountability if it does.

Well, a printer is a bit of different animal than something that could have hundreds of amps flowing through it. I buy cheap printers too.

The reasons why I changed my mind and did not use the cheap Amazon grid tie inverters. I think most of us should at least consider our options and the risks we are taking by not implementing UL inverters. You can still DIY a UL system and your family will likely be safer.
I have those exact same inverters that have been in service for several years WITHOUT any problems at all, BUT I ran 2 dedicated lines straight to the breaker box so the only thing these plugs are the 2 inverters. Were these inverters become unsafe is when there just plugged into an outlet that has other things on it.
Just my 2 cents

@Danny - is this a mobile application or stationary? I don't have time right now to view the vid.

Lots of reasons to use a UL listed device. Mainly due to safety features and potential liabilities. UL listing is not a consumer guarantee. It is just a conformance guarantee to a specific application if installed per manufacturers specification.

IMO electrical energy delivery is a poor place to price shop first, then try to adapt(re-engineer the wheel so to say). Especially if family or other none technical users are involved in system operation.

The
@Danny - is this a mobile application or stationary? I don't have time right now to view the vid.

Lots of reasons to use a UL listed device. Mainly due to safety features and potential liabilities. UL listing is not a consumer guarantee. It is just a conformance guarantee to a specific application if installed per manufacturers specification.

IMO electrical energy delivery is a poor place to price shop first, then try to adapt(re-engineer the wheel so to say). Especially if family or other none technical users are involved in system operation.
The system was for my house and was Enphase. Here is where I look at the option of paying a small amount more for the IQ7+ Enphase. Many people don’t agree with me on the value of UL. I needed to create this follow up video to pitch an alternative UL system.
. Sorry another video.

Back