diy solar

diy solar

Rebel Battery 12V 100AH LiFePO4 13.75v Max Full Charge

DCM

Good day All, I'm having an issue, which from other forums I've read, appears to be a bad cell :(. I purchased 2 Rebel 12V 100AH LiFePO4 Battery from Rebel Battery on Ebay, which came in with a 20 cell(4-groups of 5) configuration from a new supplier, and is not what Rebel battery was looking for in their design, so these battery's were purchased at a discount. Battery's came shipped at around 3.30v, and are wired in series for my 24v system. I first discharged the batteries with a low 100-300watt pull from air purifier and fan, at which time I noticed one battery, cell 4, dropping very quickly and lower than the other 3 cells. Cell 4 showed around 2.9v, cells 1-3 showed 3.18v. I stopped the discharge and reached out to Aric, who advised: this is sometimes normal on the first discharge and to charge/discharge the battery's a few times. The second battery is perfect, 3.18v across all 4 cells. I started charging the battery's, 10-12amps, and noticed when cell 4, the cell which was showing low voltage on discharge, reached just over 3.4v, started to increase voltage at a very fast pace, and not staying balanced with cells 1-3, which were still showing 3.9v. Screen shots show cell 4 increasing from 3.5v to 3.53v in 15seconds, and then hitting the 3.65v BMS high voltage cutoff a few moments later, which shut down the charging to both battery's. I've discharged and charged, with the same results a few times, and feel there is a bad cell/s in one of the groups of 5. I emailed back Aric at Rebel battery's on 12/22, to see if he had any advice on what to try, but have not heard back yet, and figured it could be due to the holiday. If anyone has any advise on trying to resolve this issue without cutting open the battery and replace a bad cell, please let me know. Thank you, DW.

Attachments

• image_6487327.JPG
    image_6487327.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 8
  • image_6487327 (1).JPG
    image_6487327 (1).JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 8
I received a reply from Rebel battery advising cell 4 is acting normal, as per below reply, but the second Rebel battery, with the same cell configuration, is perfect across all 4 cells, and since this is a 24v system, the charging is stopped when this cell 4 triggers the BMS overvoltage 3.65v, and the 3 other cells do not get above 3.4v, as well as the second battery with all 4 cells around 3.4v. The system is showing a total of around 26.8-27v when charging is stopped. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

"What you are describing is perfectly normal.

Single cell overvoltage simply means full.

Because of the flat charge curve on LFP cells, one of them is going to shoot up once passing 3.35V. That's called the knee, once it goes past the knee on the curve, it will shoot up. And the BMS detects it as "Single Cell Overvoltage". The BMS then shuts off the charge path. You will see the counter for overvoltage go up over the life of the battery."

I replied back to Rebel battery stating cells 1-3 are only reaching 3.4v, and not 3.6v during bulk/boost charging, and Rebel battery advised, 13.75 is more than100% fully charged. I guess 14.4v is incorrect for a full charge setting. I'm not sure I 100% agree with this, but will have to work with it.

Like I said, this is normal.

Your system looks good.

13.75 is more than 100% charged.​

Back