diy solar

diy solar

Rebel battery terminal studs

Grabcon

The purpose of this post is not to critize this product, it is meant to make others aware of what I found.

I am in the process of installing my newly delivered Rebel LiFePO4 12v 100ZH 1280WH Batteries. I am starting my build with two and expanding to four later this summer. I am making my own cables and the first issue I ran across is that the 8mm terminal studs are to short to accomodate two connections on one terminal stud. The unfortunate part is that I built cables to tie the batteries together before I found that I could not have two connections on one stud. So the loss is a few bucks in 1/0 welding cable, some copper lugs, the purchase of additional parts and the setback of time lost waiting on parts..

So my alternative to solve the problem is to use busbars for positive and negative connections. I hope this helps other that are looking at the purchase of these batteries.

On the bright side is that I contacted Rebel Batteries and Aric responded very quickly with a couple of alternative ways to connect the batteries.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 7.55.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 7.55.07 AM.png
    770.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 7.56.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 7.56.27 AM.png
    367.5 KB · Views: 46
The purpose of this post is not to critize this product, it is meant to make others aware of what I found.

I am in the process of installing my newly delivered Rebel LiFePO4 12v 100ZH 1280WH Batteries. I am starting my build with two and expanding to four later this summer. I am making my own cables and the first issue I ran across is that the 8mm terminal studs are to short to accomodate two connections on one terminal stud. The unfortunate part is that I built cables to tie the batteries together before I found that I could not have two connections on one stud. So the loss is a few bucks in 1/0 welding cable, some copper lugs, the purchase of additional parts and the setback of time lost waiting on parts..

So my alternative to solve the problem is to use busbars for positive and negative connections. I hope this helps other that are looking at the purchase of these batteries.

On the bright side is that I contacted Rebel Batteries and Aric responded very quickly with a couple of alternative ways to connect the batteries.

Why can't you just use longer M8 screws? How deep are the terminals, i.e. what length of screw will the terminals take to the surface of the battery?

There appears to be very little user info yet on these new Rebel batteries. The owner of Rebel, in a comment on one of Will Prowse's videos, says that the Rebel Battery BMS is the same one that Overkill Solar sells.

Owner here. Also of note, we have changed the terminal from male to female on the next batch of batteries incoming, due in June. So you'll be able to stack them on and just use a longer bolt when needed.

A bus bar or M8 coupler nut would be good alternative solutions for anyone that's already purchased one with the male terminal.

Also of note, we have changed the terminal from male to female on the next batch of batteries incoming, due in June. So you'll be able to stack them on and just use a longer bolt when needed.
Good call. It is nice to see changes happen that quickly

There appears to be very little user info yet on these new Rebel batteries. The owner of Rebel, in a comment on one of Will Prowse's videos, says that the Rebel Battery BMS is the same one that Overkill Solar sells.

I can confirm that.

Owner here. Also of note, we have changed the terminal from male to female on the next batch of batteries incoming, due in June. So you'll be able to stack them on and just use a longer bolt when needed.

A bus bar or M8 coupler nut would be good alternative solutions for anyone that's already purchased one with the male terminal.

I can confirm that.
The Rebel battery I received today has female terminals.

I can confirm that.
The Rebel battery I received today has female terminals.
The one I received a few days ago is male post and when the washer and battery cable are installed there are 2 brass threads holding the thumb nut on the positive terminal and only 1 thread holding the negative side.

I like the battery so far but the terminals on mine are unacceptable. I could open the battery to see if they are adjustable or not, but that would void the warranty.

Yes, the last shipment was all-male terminals, our May shipment and going forward are all female, should be in hand within 10 days.

@Grumman Olson Sorry you find them to be too short. I can send you a couple of M8 couplers, that would turn the male into a female and allow you to use them with bolts. PM me an address if you would like them sent out. yes, the threads are adjustable from the inside, again PM me and we can work something out if you want to open it to adjust the length.

Sneak peak of the newer female terminals on the metal case 100Ah battery.

This also has a lid-mounted BMS for better heat dissipation, and an internal crossbar to hold down the cells.

Video coming soon.

IMG_20210515_160714620.jpg

Thanks for the updates. Did the 2&300 Ah units arrive as well? Any changes in those? Narrowing down and planning on starting to order my components this week.

Sneak peak of the newer female terminals on the metal case 100Ah battery.

This also has a lid-mounted BMS for better heat dissipation, and an internal crossbar to hold down the cells.

Video coming soon.

What gauge wire are folks using to parallel up 4 100AH 12VDC Rebel's? I'll use 4/0 on the final set to the inverter.

What gauge wire are folks using to parallel up 4 100AH 12VDC Rebel's? I'll use 4/0 on the final set to the inverter.
I used equal lengths of 2/0 between my 100AH batteries and the two buss bars, then 4/0 from the buss bars to the inverter. After all is said and done, now I see why 24V makes a lot of sense even in small systems.

I used equal lengths of 2/0 between my 100AH batteries and the two buss bars, then 4/0 from the buss bars to the inverter. After all is said and done, now I see why 24V makes a lot of sense even in small systems.
Agreed, very tempting to go 24 volt if I ever have to replace my Magnum MS2012.

Back