diy solar

diy solar

REC Active BMS

multihull

I have a 500ah 5p4s LiFePO4 bank installed on a sailboat. I’m considering installing a REC Active BMS from Slovenia which seems suited to marine applications. Does anybody have experience with this BMS? Thanks for your help!

No replies yet eh? Did you go through with this and try the REC BMS? I'm keen to hear the results. I'm interested in the REC BMS for the exact same reason, on a 460AH 2P4S bank.
The X2 BMS also looks like a good candidate.

I use a Rec Active in my boat. It has worked very well except for the Bluetooth module shitting the bed. Being able to integrate with external hardware (alternator regulator, inverter etc) via CANbus is really nice. Expensive, but very nice. Being able to control a contractor as opposed to a mosfet on some of the cheaper Bms’s is nice on a boat where you can easily exceed the limits of these cheaper Bms’s.

I just setup the REC Active on my test bench. If anyone uses victron gear, with a DIY bank, it's just silly to use anything but REC. CAN communications just make things so much easier.

I just setup the REC Active on my test bench. If anyone uses victron gear, with a DIY bank, it's just silly to use anything but REC. CAN communications just make things so much easier.
I have the same, but there are other options that work just fine with Victron gear. I like the Rec Active, but I don’t like being nickel and dimed for all sorts of features they should be included like a Bluetooth module, wifi module, pre charge circuit, special CANbus cord and the software to configure it… That all adds up.

I have the same, but there are other options that work just fine with Victron gear. I like the Rec Active, but I don’t like being nickel and dimed for all sorts of features they should be included like a Bluetooth module, wifi module, pre charge circuit, special CANbus cord and the software to configure it… That all adds up.
I agree to some point. I think the software should be included. As for the rest, the precharge circuit isn't rec specific and isn't needed for all installations. The wifi and bluetooth modules aren't needed either. As for the canbus cable, you can make your own cable so you don't need to buy theirs though for many it may be easier (myself included). The cost difference when you add them all up, vs buying something like a batrium, you end up paying more for batrium as you need their shunt and cell balance boards.

Back