diy solar

diy solar

REC - Redneck Electrical Code

EastTexCowboy

Solar Wizard
By popular demand (okay, it's only like three other people and me, but at least two of us are popular ? ) I'm starting this thread to help our community develop something we are direly in need of - a Redneck Electrical Code. In light of the need to be inclusive, the code will not just be for redneck electrical work. It should be great for any "alternative" electricians. But we're going to need some help putting this together. I mean, just think how long it took to develop the NEC. I'm thinking we'll need at least a week or two to match that. So please make any contributions you feel would be appropriate (or inappropriate as the case may be) to be included in the code book. It won't really be a code book - just this thread. But who knows - it may catch on and we could actually do a book and become rich. Go on book tours. Have fan pages. But I digress.

I've already got some contributions and a couple I'll throw in myself. Here we go -

From @FilterGuy - If it can't be done with duct tape and WD-40, it does not need to be done!!!

From @Warpspeed - Rubber bands and superglue are alternative technologies.

From @Rednecktek - It's ELECTRICAL code people... Bailing wire, nails, and a 2x4.

My initial contributions -

1. Extension cords of any size are allowed in any application as long as they are long enough. An extension cord that is too short ends up being stretched across your work area about shin high and becomes a trip hazard which could cause you to spill your beer.

2. In the absence of a device for testing for current you are allowed to have your buddy, your wife, your girlfriend or even a stranger to touch a wire to see if it's hot. DO NOT touch this person while they are touching the wire for you. That would be shock hazard.

I'm looking forward to seeing what y'all can come up with!

Superglue is the proper way to hold the GFCI button in
Alternately a 1.5mm cellulose driver (common toothpick) may be used.

Barbed or razor wire are acceptable conductors for ground mount arrays for Varmit Repulsion Rating (VRR).

A minimum of 3 wraps on a 16 penny nail to qualify as a bus bar.

Grounding bars require a minimum of 3 gallon METAL bucket and gravel.

Scotch tape must be double-wrapped if it is used to insulate a wire.

Electric fences are not allowed near within spit'n distance of places the hunters take a piss

Superglue is the proper way to hold the GFCI button in.

Use piggyback breakers whenever possible. It cuts down on materials so it's good for the environment.

Never label wires or breakers. Or if you really want to have fun, label them incorrectly.

Ground wires are superfluous. There's already a neutral. Where possible use the ground wire as the neutral for a second circuit, or vice versa.

If your outlet fails, and it's important to use the thing that was plugged into it, it's acceptable to remove the outlet and wrap
the wires directly around the prongs of your plug. Be sure to wrap tape around it - safety first.

When using THHN wire outdoors as PV wire, be sure to mark the positive and negative wires with paint. This way you can still tell
which is which after the sun fades the insulation.

An axe head makes a good ground trenching tool. Burying your wire like this will keep it away from your mower deck.

If a ten pound sledgehammer doesn’t work then utilize the fine adjustment twenty pound version

If you are out of black wire for the negative, red wire is fine (and visa-versa).

Redneck ampacity chart: Just use two sizes smaller than the NEC..... they are too conservative.

No more than 8 high current lugs are allowed on a single post.

When the utility cuts your power, a properly sized extension cord must be used to steal power from your neighbor's exterior outlet.
Special note: Black extension cords are preferred..... orange is too noticeable.

Polaris connectors consist of a rope or chain used to pull your dead ATV/UTV. Same rope or chain (polaris connector) can be used to secure solar panels, electrical wiring, electrical boxes, and beer coolers.

It is acceptable to twist two wires together and wrap them with any tape. If you use scotch tape be sure to double wrap (see code section above written by @FilterGuy). This method of connecting two or more wires together is referred to as a Way2Go connector.

2. In the absence of a device for testing for current you are allowed to have your buddy, your wife, your girlfriend or even a stranger to touch a wire to see if it's hot. DO NOT touch this person while they are touching the wire for you. That would be shock hazard.
This section of code has been modified based on rebuttal from a higher authority.

A .22 cartridge should not be used to carry more than 22 amps. A .38 will carry 38 amps but rarely fit into common fuse holders. See special note about .357 cartridges.

24492130538_143560a9a1_b.jpg

Back