diy solar

diy solar

Recommendation for: Inverter 48 V DC to 240 V AC Split Phase with Neutral for Water Heat Pump

I try to find a 48 V DC Inverter to run a 240 V Water Heat Pump in the US.

- I cannot find too much information about Water Heat Pump compressor consumption.

The information I can find mentioned the 5 kW resistance heating element​
used for fast water heating, something I will not use, at least using solar energy.​

I am assuming that the compressor is more or less the size of a refrigerator compressor, so about 1 kW?​

- I just think that I would need a 5 kW 48 V to 240 V AC Inverter, because of the In-Rush current?

- Should I need getting a low frequency Inverter, which would be very heavy and pricey,
or a more typical high frequency Inverter (1 kHz ? ) to run the Water Heat Pump compressor?

From the above observations, what Inverter would you recommend getting?

Note: Something I am concerned is the idle consumption of the Inverter,
so I would like to find an Inverter which can be shut down remotely using a relay.

Last edited:
MY Rheem HPWHs did not have much surge for startup. I only ran them in heat pump mode and they took about one kW. There is no surge for a resistive element that I know of.
My Outback Skybox works for me. Your decision should be based on your overall loads and how much solar capacity you need. My Skybox can have between 100-300 Watts of overhead but that is insignificant in turns of the value it brings me in cost savings. My daily consumption varies.

Last edited:

- I cannot find too much information about Water Heat Pump compressor consumption.

used for fast water heating, something I will not use, at least using solar energy.​

I am assuming that the compressor is more or less the size of a refrigerator compressor, so about 1 kW?​

- I just think that I would need a 5 kW 48 V to 240 V AC Inverter, because of the In-Rush current?

- Should I need getting a low frequency Inverter, which would be very heavy and pricey,
or a more typical high frequency Inverter (1 kHz ? ) to run the Water Heat Pump compressor?

so I would like to find an Inverter which can be shut down remotely using a relay.

I was searching for solar inverters which are compatible with "smart" heat pumps. At this link, I found popular commercial solar inverter models that can work with "smart" heat pumps. The list seems to cover all Chinese and western inverters from these models. https://pathtogreenhomes.com/?url=/...-combination-with-below-compatible-inverters/

Most electric pumps will consume about 3X their rated hp rating, so if you can find out what the actual pump size is, you may guestimate the watts. Let's say for illustration the unit has a 1/2hp water pump. 1/2hp X 745W/hp X 3X = 1118W. Call it 1.1kW. Assuming you have an inrush starting current of 4X, then the unit might need 4.4kW of power just at startup.

My XW+6848 handles startup surges far larger than that, and it also has low idle consumption, in the range of 30W/hour. It's very high quality split-phase inverter.

Back