diy solar

diy solar

Recommendation on a Watt Meter?

gamerscircle

I am very new to Solar, using my new Multimeter and I am shopping around for some used Solar Panels. I saw a YT where someone was doing what I was doing, but was using a Watt Meter similar to: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088KVWD9Q , but this one has really bad reviews. Any suggestions? I know I can use my meter, just don't want to make a mistake is all.

Are you thinking that thing will work by just hooking them up to panels to test? If so it will not do such. Still needs a load (i.e. charge controller).

Are you trying to test, or looking for something to tell you such when you install? If the later, most beter charge controllers have this built in.

For testing panels, you can use a multimeter and check the Voc and reference that to spec.

Yes, I was hoping to plug in and get the information so that I could see if the used panels were good enough or not. I will do what you suggested and with the meter. Thank you again for the advice.

Yes, I was hoping to plug in and get the information so that I could see if the used panels were good enough or not. I will do what you suggested and with the meter. Thank you again for the advice.
Voc of a panel is not a great test

You really need a load test and an irradiance meter And a manufacturers output graph. ☺️

I am on a budget, put all the $$ into the controller, battery and inverter. I respect you advice, but I think the best I can do is use a mater and compare what is on the back of the panel.

I am on a budget, put all the $$ into the controller, battery and inverter. I respect you advice, but I think the best I can do is use a mater and compare what is on the back of the panel.
Maybe you need something like this : https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiLnaSm4N35AhV1QEEAHcxsA2kQFnoECAgQAQ&url=https://www.era-energytech.com/product/elejoy-pv-panel-multimeter/&usg=AOvVaw06lusPEFLT2xm0UxmhKWLr

Andy ( Off Grid Garage ) in OZ uses them. Check out his website.

A maximum power point meter is very useful as it tells you what the panel is capable for the light conditions you have

and this rounds it off

Usually if the panel looks good - it will produce power. I would just use a regular multimeter do the test I can with it - and save the money on a special tool that you will only use once.

Put that money towards an extra panel.

Usually if the panel looks good - it will produce power. I would just use a regular multimeter do the test I can with it - and save the money on a special tool that you will only use once.

Put that money towards an extra panel.
Voc is not much of a test however. It shows the panel is alive but that’s about it.

You can measure Voc , then put the meter in series on current short the output and measure Isc.
I agree, if the OP has a voltmeter that also reads current, you're set up to get a good enough idea if the panel works.

Don't forget to move the meter leads to measure amps (and most importantly for me is to move them back).
I'm sure there are instructions in the googles or elsewhere here in the forum. I'm just not sure where to point to help find them.

I have put a FrogBro Solar Panel Tester on my wishlist - I can see how this does make it easier, but I suppose I also need to learn out to use my voltmeter better as well. Thank you all.

The advantage of the testers are you can detect the mppt point. This gives you the max output for the given irradiance , that’s the best way to evaluate a panel

I have put a FrogBro Solar Panel Tester on my wishlist - I can see how this does make it easier, but I suppose I also need to learn out to use my voltmeter better as well. Thank you all.

I just purchased one of these FrogBro units to try testing some broken panels that I want to salvage and put out on our batch plant solar install (to run the wifi repeater equipment 24/7 without generator). I'll probably use a tool like this more since I regularly help other people with solar stuff on our co-op, figured it would be a good troubleshooting tool to have in my toolbox. We'll see how good it works, says it can handle up to an 800w panel. I know I can just use a voltmeter with an amp-clamp to test them, but it seemed fun to have a proper tool that can measure Vmp/Imp, to see a more real world watts calculation.

Last edited:
Thanks! I saw that, but I ended up getting a Klein Tools CL800 , I had never owned a clamp meter before, so I thought I was checking amps incorrectly , but learned that I needed to use the clamp vs the leads. :) I am learning.

Thanks! I saw that, but I ended up getting a Klein Tools CL800 , I had never owned a clamp meter before, so I thought I was checking amps incorrectly , but learned that I needed to use the clamp vs the leads. :) I am learning.
A clamp mutimeyer is not as good as a proper solar tester that can accurately search and discover the Vmp Imp
Operating point. This is the only true measure of a panel.

I just purchased one of these FrogBro units to try testing some broken panels that I want to salvage and put out on our batch plant solar install (to run the wifi repeater equipment 24/7 without generator). I'll probably use a tool like this more since I regularly help other people with solar stuff on our co-op, figured it would be a good troubleshooting tool to have in my toolbox. We'll see how good it works, says it can handle up to an 800w panel. I know I can just use a voltmeter with an amp-clamp to test them, but it seemed fun to have a proper tool that can measure Vmp/Imp, to see a more real world watts calculation.

How has this tool been working for you? Also, is there anywhere to read more about your co-op and how you're helping people with solar through that?

Back