diy solar

diy solar

Recommendation - Shed Charger for Zero Turn Riding Mower Conversion

AMDPower

OK. So, you guys have helped me to convert my Ryobi Zero Turn 48V SLA/AGM mower into a LiFePo4 mower (still waiting on parts). I'd like to dabble into solar now. Here is the challenge.

I want to power my shed which will in-turn charge the mower. My current draw is currently just a couple of security cameras (let's say 40W continuous), convenience lighting (all LED and rarely used) and my Ryobi charger which has an input current of 8A (around 960W). Do you guys think it would be possible to go off-grid with this setup given the following data.

1.) Figure max power draw of 1000W.
2.) This is in an unfortunately moderately to heavily shaded area in Ohio.
3.) Panels would face east and west at around a 4/12 pitch.
4.) Mowing occurs about once a week. So I have an entire week to charge 48V at 100AH with no other draw other than the cameras.

Do you think I could get a Renogy starter kit or some other small charger and inverter to help with efficiency?

Also, I'm not really worried about recouping my costs over time. I mainly want to experiment for future design considerations...(I have a very large 10/12 pitch roof facing south on a 5000+ sf foot walk-out basement home). It has almost no tree cover on the house. This is unlike the heavy tree cover on the shed.

Many thanks.

Did you ever start on this? I was debating looking into the Ryobi mower but using the batteries as a battery backup for my sheds. I only mow once a week, so why not try to re-use the batteries for soemthign useful. This would obviously involve disconnecting the Ryobi charger and hooking up the batteries directly to the controller.

Still waiting on batteries to come in for my Ryobi conversion. Interesting idea though. Haven't started on shed. Think I might not get enough sun but might get one panel to test.

48V at 100AH with no other draw other than the cameras.
48v x 100ah = 4800wh

If you get 500w solar, it will take roughy 10 hours of full sun (2 days at 5hr avg per day).

Security cameras 40w x 24h = 960wh
960wh / 5h = 192w solar to run just the cameras

Think I might not get enough sun but might get one panel to test.
Have you looked for big cheap panels on craigslist in your area? Its usually easy to get a 200-300w panel for less than $100.
If you provide your general location or zipcode, perhaps someone can recommend panels in your area.

OK. So, you guys have helped me to convert my Ryobi Zero Turn 48V SLA/AGM mower into a LiFePo4 mower (still waiting on parts). I'd like to dabble into solar now. Here is the challenge.
The solar shed is on my list as well but if you think you’re finished with the mower, you’re thinking too small.

At a minimum you need to add an inverter to your mower to serve as a mobile backup generator of sorts. You could even use that to pull holiday floats in a local parade. Or add some speakers and a projector and have a mobile outdoor theater. The possibilities are endless for a big self propelled battery.

Last edited:
Did you ever start on this? I was debating looking into the Ryobi mower but using the batteries as a battery backup for my sheds. I only mow once a week, so why not try to re-use the batteries for soemthign useful. This would obviously involve disconnecting the Ryobi charger and hooking up the batteries directly to the controller.
Exactly what I was wanting to accomplish. I have a 480 (100ah batteries). Backup power for my pellet stove and freezer.

Back