diy solar

diy solar

Recommendations for a DIY All-in-One unit that meets US and Canada standards

Tony S

Like the title says: I'm looking for recommendations for a DIY All-in-One unit that meets US and Canada standards

What's out there? Is this what you have? If so, would you stick with it - if you were to start over with your Solar setup today?

FYI - My needs or desire are: (We want our cake and eat it too - lol)

We want to have an All-in-one DIY unit so it can provide us with the most options.
1. We plan to sell back if it's worth it and we might go Off-Grid at some point. But we want to run it for a year or two, add to it as needed / can afford, until we get the setup where we want it to be.
2. We know at some point we will sell our place = So, we want to allow the new owners to do as they see fit. This means if they want to use solar and still be on the Grid - they can.

Thank you for your time and help,

Last edited:
I just read Post 1 and you are also considering the future for not only expansion but also resale value of the property with improvements etc... WISE MOVE BTW! Far too many do not think about "tomorrow" and regardless of what anyone thinks or says, property always gets sold / transferred... Sometimes we just have to kick the bucket first ! hahahaha

To that end, do NOT piecemeal any of it ! Stick to one product family and apply Keep It Sweet & Simple rules to the project. I'd highly suggest going with VICTRON Equipment (well maybe except their batteries which are way too $$) Compatible BMS' are out there & you can DIY but a "Commercial Battery" from a well known reputable company is also good.

AIO's have upsides of being simpler to install and setup, many are "stackable" in parallel BUT they also have downside like being less efficient, using much more standby power and an inability to turn off components within, ie shut off inverter but leave SCC on. In addition, Dollar Saver people will gravitate toward HF (High Frequency) because they are much cheaper than LF (Low Frequency) without realizing what they are trading off.
Please read this: https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/k...rsion-methods-explained-high-frequency-vs-low

IF fixated on an AIO then only consider an LF Model (they also have lower standby power use and can be up to 96% efficient), alternately, "Component" based with separate SCC, Inverter/Charger etc is more wise and flexible BUT like all things it has to be planned for.

Case in point.... I use Midnite Solar SCC's.
My Classic-200 has an 8 Panel Array (2100W) and it gives me 79A Charge Power
My Classic-150 has a 6 panel array (2370W) which provides 92A charge power
Some people go out and buy 20 Panels and 4 controllers to make the same... how do we spell DUH ? hahaha... a calculator will tell your wallet the difference.

Tony, you are in Ontario, so I will strongly urge you to contact (below), they can help you with Victron, Fronius & more plus help you design a compliant system that will pass inspections.
Solacity Inc.
825 Van Buren St.
Kemptville, Ontario
K0G 1J0
Canada

Toll-free: 877-787-9748
Phone: 613-686-4618
Fax: 613-686-4622
Web: Solacity.com

Attachments

• 4B1C8FC3-06BF-467E-B7CA-43214A0F5AA1.jpeg
    4B1C8FC3-06BF-467E-B7CA-43214A0F5AA1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 6A787FF8-6E98-43E3-88DE-7737CC060E57.jpeg
    6A787FF8-6E98-43E3-88DE-7737CC060E57.jpeg
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 19
I just read Post 1 and you are also considering the future for not only expansion but also resale value of the property with improvements etc... WISE MOVE BTW! Far too many do not think about "tomorrow" and regardless of what anyone thinks or says, property always gets sold / transferred... Sometimes we just have to kick the bucket first ! hahahaha

To that end, do NOT piecemeal any of it ! Stick to one product family and apply Keep It Sweet & Simple rules to the project. I'd highly suggest going with VICTRON Equipment (well maybe except their batteries which are way too $$) Compatible BMS' are out there & you can DIY but a "Commercial Battery" from a well known reputable company is also good.

AIO's have upsides of being simpler to install and setup, many are "stackable" in parallel BUT they also have downside like being less efficient, using much more standby power and an inability to turn off components within, ie shut off inverter but leave SCC on. In addition, Dollar Saver people will gravitate toward HF (High Frequency) because they are much cheaper than LF (Low Frequency) without realizing what they are trading off.
Please read this: https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/k...rsion-methods-explained-high-frequency-vs-low

IF fixated on an AIO then only consider an LF Model (they also have lower standby power use and can be up to 96% efficient), alternately, "Component" based with separate SCC, Inverter/Charger etc is more wise and flexible BUT like all things it has to be planned for.

Case in point.... I use Midnite Solar SCC's.
My Classic-200 has an 8 Panel Array (2100W) and it gives me 79A Charge Power
My Classic-150 has a 6 panel array (2370W) which provides 92A charge power
Some people go out and buy 20 Panels and 4 controllers to make the same... how do we spell DUH ? hahaha... a calculator will tell your wallet the difference.

Tony, you are in Ontario, so I will strongly urge you to contact (below), they can help you with Victron, Fronius & more plus help you design a compliant system that will pass inspections.
Solacity Inc.
825 Van Buren St.
Kemptville, Ontario
K0G 1J0
Canada

Toll-free: 877-787-9748
Phone: 613-686-4618
Fax: 613-686-4622
Web: Solacity.com

Thank you, Steve.

More about what I'm trying to do.
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/c...-extra-cost-will-i-have-to-think-about.51709/

BTW Steve, I like to plan as much as anyone can. Sometimes I overthink things and make them more complicated than they need to be. But once the boots hit the ground - things can change and one has to go with the flow. Grin
Are you associated with Solacity?

BTW Steve, I like to plan as much as anyone can. Sometimes I overthink things and make them more complicated than they need to be. But once the boots hit the ground - things can change and one has to go with the flow. Grin
Are you associated with Solacity?
Me too

I agree with @jfpetesn, for a DIY AIO, that meets every spec and regulation, the Sol-Ark is hard to beat aside from the price. With a very low idle consumption (60w on the 12k model, which compared to most other AIO's, is very good), a very high efficiency (up to 97.5%) and so many features/options, not to mention their support staff that will ACTUALLY help you install/setup.

The Sol-Arks are HF inverters, and like @Steve_S mentioned, a LF inverter is probably the smarter option depending on your loads, but I don't think they are mandatory. So many people get by with HF inverters if they know what they are doing.

Steve,

I contacted Solacity Inc. today. Very nice and willing to help with what they can. They can help ensure that the solar equipment I want to use will do what it needs to and everything will work together. However, they can't help me with figuring out what is needed to connect the solar setup to my house and/or garage with the way I'm doing it. (I'll need a solar installer and/or electrician for that.)

Is having EMP important? The first gen Sol-Ark 15K does not have it and I heard they plan on having it in the future, if they don't already..

Back