diy solar

diy solar

Recommendations For Riden RD6018w Output Cables

Anyone know of a source for the decent quality banana plugs?

Source spade terminals for 10 AWG is a PITA, also. But that's what I'm doing.
I did link to the spade connectors that work for me above. I am thinking about making some cables and sending them to anyone that asks and will cover the price of shipping and cable, since I do have plenty of spare connectors and the time is literally less than 5 minutes to make. That would at least spare people the expense of strippers, crimper, etc.

Edit to add that apparently Amazon is sold out of the banana plugs I bought that seem to be adequate. Otherwise I would link to them.

how do you crimp these? I tried dimple crimper and it pokes a hole through the soft plastic and not sure what good a waterproof jacket is with a hole.
I used the crimp tool I linked earlier in this thread. Heatshrink connectors do need a different die.

I used the crimp tool I linked earlier in this thread. Heatshrink connectors do need a different die.
This ^^^^ It's important to use a single-crimp die for most heat shrink terminals, vs a double crimp die for most regular insulated terminals. I've found that dimple crimpers do not work well on either, really.

Last edited:
I can make and ship cables via priority mail if anyone wants to reimburse me. Other than buying the tools and quality cable, the time and effort is negligible. It is about $8 for a priority mail envelope, and $8.50 for the small box. Quality cable isn't cheap, but I do have some spare 10 gauge that is rather stiff (and pure copper).

you should include a voltage drop of the oem cables on the $70 powers supply with #18-20 or what ever they use

you should include a voltage drop of the oem cables on the $70 powers supply with #18-20 or what ever they use

I don't know who you mean by "you. But this thread wasn't about other power supplies. This thread is specific to the Riden power supply and they don't come with any cables.

There are many voltage drop calculators and they are easy to use. You or anyone else should be able to figure out the voltage drop using the link I posted to one of the calculators on the previous page. This is part of DIY anyways and everyone doing a DIY should learn how to use the different electrical calculators out there of which there are many to be found by googling.

As for me, I have posted the voltage drop of 18awg wire in at least one other thread. Easy to find if you search for it.

Since you linked to a thread you started, why don't you post the voltage drop of the wires that came with your power supply. You know the exact length of the cables and you should know the awg. :)

Voltage drop is just a pain as it slows down charging, When the current drops to near zero, voltage drop also drops.

Back