diy solar

diy solar

Recommendations for Solar Setup

zfealk

I'm currently renovating a 1978 Apache popup camper. I want to redo all the electrical so I can have shore and solar power. I've recently purchased an SOK lithium ion 100ah battery. I would like to use the all-in-one system from MPP Solar. This camper does not allow anything to be mounted on the roof so I am looking into briefcase solar panels. I'm looking at the 200 watt Renogy and Rich Solar. Which of these two do you reccomend?
I'll be powering a dometic fridge, led lights, water pump, sound system/speakers and a few USB cables. Does this sound like a good/viable option?
Let me know if you need anymore info. Thanks!

The usage listed has no need for 120 volt power.

Renogy is lower price and includes a controller. Get a small dedicated inverter if needed 100 to 300 watts. Some USB connectors can run direct off 12 volts for charging small devices.

The usage listed has no need for 120 volt power.

Renogy is lower price and includes a controller. Get a small dedicated inverter if needed 100 to 300 watts. Some USB connectors can run direct off 12 volts for charging small devices.
the camper also has 4 110v outlets throughout. so when I am connected to shore power, I can use the inverter to run my plugs/charge the battery

the camper also has 4 110v outlets throughout. so when I am connected to shore power, I can use the inverter to run my plugs/charge the battery
When you plug in the main cord, power simply passes through to the outlets.
No inverter needed.

When you plug in the main cord, power simply passes through to the outlets.
No inverter needed.
for sure. that makes sense. so what would I need if I wanted to charge my 12v battery setup with shore but didn't use the all-in-one system?

1978 RV should have a converter to supply 12 volts to the lights and such. This converter should supply 13.6 to 13.8 volts and will charge the battery. Although some are pretty slow with just 6 to 12 amps. If you find you want a faster charge you can upgrade the converter or attach a portable charger direct to the battery.

Back