diy solar

diy solar

Recommendations on Ground Source Heat Pump with soft start?

The biggest draw on our off grid solar array is going to be our hoped for ground source heat pump. I've used a calculator provided to me from a guy who works for Alaska Center for Energy and Power and even though it's for an air source heat pump, he suggested it would give an idea of the energy draw of a unit. Based on our cabin square footage and construction, local weather in their model, and keeping the cabin at 60F it's showing their unit would use about 11KW of power a day. But the report suggests we could go with a smaller unit because the unit it uses as its default never reached maximum use. But I don't know enough about GSHPs to select one really.

We're planning on burying 1000-2000 feet of horizontal loop ten feet down to hopefully oversize it. We have a 1000 square foot cabin with 2x6 construction, R-38 in the floor and roof, R-21 in the walls. But we have quite a lot of triple paned glass windows.

Looking for recommendations on GSHPs with soft start since we'll be feeding this power from a Victron Multiplus II that can only supply 230 volts, peak of 18KW, and continuous 8KW (at 77F).
ground source heat pump installer in Portsmouth
Thanks in advance for been there-done thats on the topic!
Our generator is able to run the heat pump, but it won't start up the heat pump.

These are the specs for our heat pump:
Model: **CPLJ60-1A
Volts:208/230
PH: 1
HZ: 60
Min Circuit Amps: 33.8
Max overcurrent protection: 50
Min Volts: 197
Max Volts: 253
Compressor RLA: 25.0
Compressor LRA: 148.0
Cond Fan FLA: 2.5
Cond Fan HP: 1/3

This is the soft starter we are looking at:
Hyper Engineering SS1B16-32SN Sure Start Soft Starter 230V16-32FLA

Our heat pump is the reciprocating style, according to our HVAC guy.

This is what it said about reciprocating style on the Hyper Engineering web site:
Reciprocating & Rotary Compressors SureStart technology can be applied to most reciprocating and rotary compressors as long as they fall within the correct range of Full Load amperage
rating of the listed models. Systems using these types of compressors must equalize differential pressure across the compressor during off cycle. SureStart is not intended to start compressors that are under a large differential pressure at startup. Doing so will compromise the life of the SureStart.

Our HVAC guy wants to charge us over $, so we thought we might try ourselves. What do you think about the soft starter. Is it a fit?

We are mostly concerned about the FLA.

Thank you for any help.

All I want for christmas is a 5000 btu water to water Heatpump. Is DC to much to ask?

We went with a Carrier system because I read that they have their Smart Start. Then I didn't read enough to realize their split system - we got the GZ060 5 ton - does not have Smart Start. It was tripping my 15kW Sol-Ark randomly because of the amperage it was pulling at startup. We put a 5 ton KickStart on it and it resolved the issue.

Back