diy solar

diy solar

Recommended Battery charger - to run off 230V generator 2.7KW - to charge 24V LifePO4 200Ah pack - any suggestions please?

alistair1537

As above - I have a solar setup on a barge in Ireland, but I need additional energy input in winter/rainy periods - I have the generator but I need to push in as many Amps as I can in as short a time - 3C cells capabilities - the limit I guess is the generator?

Thanks in anticipation

Welcome to the forum. Several boaters lurk here....

First let me say, that chargers get quite expensive the more amperage they handle but you likely already found that out. Your likely thinking before dropping that amount of cash on one, you want to get it right. Good Common Sense at work ! 200AH @ 100A charge rate would be the normal max they would be charged at. You had better verify the cell info per the manufacturers data sheet on the cells. Higher charge rate will increase temps and significantly as it get's higher. The "usual" would be to use an Inverter/Charger with it taking "shore power", whatever that may be, be it genset or actual shore/grid.

To get a better response, I would suggest you verify & if possible post the cell data sheet here for people to see.
Maybe a brief synopsis of your system / gear that you have, Solar Controller, Inverter/Charger etc...

Thanks Steve - so I have 4 x Trina Split panels 275 watt - Epever 50A Mppt solar charge controller - Smart 8s BMS - Winston LFP100AHA TALL cell Battery made up of 8 cell pack - Documents data sheet: https://files.ev-power.eu/inc/_doc/attach/StoItem/1580/GWL-Winston-LFP100AHA_TALL.pdf
Inverter is Power Inverter 3000W Pure Sine Wave 12V/24V to 230V 240V.

I am still waiting for my BMS to arrive so I haven't put together this system in any operational form. Yet.

Cheers Alistair

Optimal discharge current < 50 A 0.5 C
Optimal charge current < 50 A 0.5 C
Maximal discharge current < 300 A 3 C, continuous for max 15 minutes from full charge
Maximal charge current < 300 A < 3 C with battery temperature monitoring
Maximal continuous operating temperature 80 °C The battery
temperature should not increase this level during charge and discharge

That's the key info there to work with. with a 24/100AH 8S pack you should be fine with the basics you have, albeit I have to admit I am not familiar with the current EPEver offerings the have been getting better over the years and I know several who are pleased with them.

On your Inverter. Is it an Inverter/Charger or just a plain Inverter ?
Have you considered that a combined Inverter/Charger which can accept external AC from "shore & genset" could save you an awful lot of furtling about ? It may be an option worthy of serious consideration as it can really simplify a lot of things.

This is from Samlex Europe which might fit the bill for you perfectly. Something to ponder upon. There are of course many others like Victron as well that would do it nicely. NOTE the Samlex is a LOW Frequency Pure Sine unit. LF inverters are more expensive than HF (High Frequency) inverters which use FETS.

Thanks for the link, Steve - That sounds like the business!! I wish I'd known this before purchasing my inverter - How much do these run at? I may even sell on this one if the price is reasonable?

Cheers Alistair

Thanks for the link, Steve - That sounds like the business!! I wish I'd known this before purchasing my inverter - How much do these run at? I may even sell on this one if the price is reasonable?

Cheers Alistair
Unfortunately I can't be of much help with those as I'm in Canada and the offerings are different as well. I use an Samlex EVO series inverter/charger. You'll have to do some shopping around to get the best deal.

Unfortunately I can't be of much help with those as I'm in Canada and the offerings are different as well. I use an Samlex EVO series inverter/charger. You'll have to do some shopping around to get the best deal.

Hi Steve - I gave a distributor a call in the UK - they are rough quoting around 1700 pounds sterling...so...not cheap. I really like the idea though, and I imagine there are cheaper versions that do the same thing - thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

Alistair

Hi Steve - I gave a distributor a call in the UK - they are rough quoting around 1700 pounds sterling...so...not cheap. I really like the idea though, and I imagine there are cheaper versions that do the same thing - thanks for the heads up.
Cheers
Alistair
Lemme just say, that in such a case, you DO get what you pay for. Comparable to Samlex, your looking at Victron nd other 1st tier products so similar features, functions, capabilities and configurability.

Yeah, I guess good stuff costs more but you only buy it once...thanks for your help, cheers!

Back