diy solar

diy solar

recommened 24c DC to 240v AC

I believe SunGoldPower, is a slightly lower cost cousin to AIMS (both are brands, not manufacturers). I believe the actual manufacturer is either Yiyen or Sigineer.
I bought the 24v 4,000 watt split phase Sungold last fall. It does look just like an AIMS. It has been running small loads on one 120v leg constantly since then, and it also starts and runs a submersible well pump at 240v, 8 running amps, when the grid is out. No problems so far. It was $845 on Amazon.

Any chance of a photo of the insides? The style of transformers in the AIMs is pretty distinctive and would tell you straight away if the similarity is just skin deep.

Any chance of a photo of the insides? The style of transformers in the AIMs is pretty distinctive and would tell you straight away if the similarity is just skin deep.
Ok, let me see how much trouble that is.

OK, now that you've clarified that you are looking for off-grid, a lot of your confusion can be fixed. A lot of your questions have different answers based on grid-tied or off-grid. The "inverter load panel" is simply the AC breaker box the AC Out of the inverter is going to. Since you are not getting power from the grid, it is your main breaker box that all of your household appliances are connected to. You should also have a smaller breaker box that is for your generator AC in to the inverter.

You'll also need a DC breaker box for the battery to inverter and solar charge controller breakers. Schneider calls those smaller breaker boxes their switch gear boxes. They have a separate one for AC and DC. Take a look at the last page of the install manual, it has a fairly nice diagram, https://www.altestore.com/static/datafiles/Others/Conext-SW-120V-Installation-GuideRevG.pdf

Midnite Solar has a nice all in one box called the ePanel, https://www.altestore.com/store/enc...steel-250a-for-conext-sw4024-inverter-p11289/ . They've also got some good schematics at the end of their manual, https://www.altestore.com/static/datafiles/Others/ConextSW_EPanel_ManualV3.pdf
Wow. Good information. I feel like I'm getting in over my head with some of the details. I'll have the help of an electrical engineer when it comes time for installation.
I've already ordered an Epever MPPT 80 amp charge controller. Are there any issues of compatibility with Midnight Solar's ePanel?
Thanks!

I bought the 24v 4,000 watt split phase Sungold last fall. It does look just like an AIMS. It has been running small loads on one 120v leg constantly since then, and it also starts and runs a submersible well pump at 240v, 8 running amps, when the grid is out. No problems so far. It was $845 on Amazon.
Fred, i am thinking about buying the same 4k watt Sungold inverter to power a 1hp submersible well pump in California. The well pump is setup with 3 wire total for 240v and is currently connected to a Honda 7000 generator. Using an Amp Meter clamp, the Honda generator sent around 9 amps on each of the 2 hot wires So roughly 2000 watts.

My concern is compatibility between my well pump and the Sungold 240v inverter due to needing 3 or 4 wire plugs. The honda generator 240v output is 4 pin and the original owner made a custom cable to connect only 3 wires to the well pump. My guess is two hot and a neutral or 2 hot and ground. Will the Sungold inverter work ?

Fred, i am thinking about buying the same 4k watt Sungold inverter to power a 1hp submersible well pump in California. The well pump is setup with 3 wire total for 240v and is currently connected to a Honda 7000 generator. Using an Amp Meter clamp, the Honda generator sent around 9 amps on each of the 2 hot wires So roughly 2000 watts.

My concern is compatibility between my well pump and the Sungold 240v inverter due to needing 3 or 4 wire plugs. The honda generator 240v output is 4 pin and the original owner made a custom cable to connect only 3 wires to the well pump. My guess is two hot and a neutral or 2 hot and ground. Will the Sungold inverter work ?
Despite the affordable cost, I veered away from the SunGoldPower inverter. I was frustrated that I could not determine for sure from the documentation if it is a true split phase 240v and not a European style 240v. I.E., three conducter plus ground or only 2 conducter plus ground. Then, when I sent an inquiry about if the unit is UL Listed, I got a reply in very poor english that it is not. Another put-off. Decided to go with the Schneider Conext SW 4024. More money, but quality features and very good recommendations/reviews.

Despite the affordable cost, I veered away from the SunGoldPower inverter. I was frustrated that I could not determine for sure from the documentation if it is a true split phase 240v and not a European style 240v. I.E., three conducter plus ground or only 2 conducter plus ground. Then, when I sent an inquiry about if the unit is UL Listed, I got a reply in very poor english that it is not. Another put-off. Decided to go with the Schneider Conext SW 4024. More money, but quality features and very good recommendations/reviews.
It is true split phase, as advertised. I use both 120v legs (they are 2000w each), and also the L1+L2+N=240v output.
Yes, it is from China, with Chinese email support (and I think phone too, but I haven't used it).
You will find very little from China that is UL listed -- that approval is expensive and bureaucratic to obtain. I think you will be happier with your choice of the Conext.

Yes, I think 2,000w is a pretty common draw on submersible well pumps. I expect the inverter will work for you, since it starts and runs my pump with a slightly smaller 8a draw just fine. Its 20 second surge rating supposedly is 12,000w.

Your generator has two hots, a neutral and a ground wire. Electrically, you don't need the ground, which is why the owner made the 3-pin plug.
The inverter only has two hots ("L1 and L2") and a neutral for AC output. You'd hook the two hots (to supply 240v), and the neutral, to your well pump. You can also connect one hot and a neutral to provide 120v service, say to an outlet. You can use two 120v legs, each using the same neutral, and each will have a 2,000w limit.

Also, if you choose to use the AC transfer switch function, there is an L1, L2 and neutral input for that. I've never used the function.

Last edited:
You will find very little from China that is UL listed -- that approval is expensive and bureaucratic to obtain. I think you will be happier with your choice of the Conext.

I've heard this is one of the advantages of Aims over technically similar Chinese versions, including the original manufacturer (Sigineer?) version. They go through the trouble/expensive of ETL testing / UL listing for at least some of their inverters.

Thanks for the clarifications. As you can see, although I've been experimenting with small solar systems (Coleman and Harbor Freight kits) I'm on a pretty steep learning curve. I'm adding a charge controller to my list of components.
I'm building off-grid, but there is public power at the lot corner - about 250 feet away. I just strongly object to being a slave to monthly utility bills. I want to go through the electrical permitting process so that it is on record as being installed per code in case I or a future owner wants to hook up to the grid.
Here's what it looks like if you go with all Schneider/Conext (CC's, switchgear, SW4024 inverter & combox - SCP is upstairs). I'm totally off-grid and it works flawlessly (with generator, DC and AC coupling, plus pretty graphs, too). Best.

Attachments

• SW4024 install.jpg
    SW4024 install.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 18
  • Schneider Combox Readout.png
    Schneider Combox Readout.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 18
Ok, here are interior pics of the Sungold 24v 4,000w split phase inverter, model # APC 4024D, perhaps manufactured late last summer or so.

Label.jpg
Top, battery connections to the left:
Top.jpg
Front angle:
Front angle.jpg
Back angle:
Back angle.jpg

Here's what it looks like if you go with all Schneider/Conext (CC's, switchgear, SW4024 inverter & combox - SCP is upstairs). I'm totally off-grid and it works flawlessly (with generator, DC and AC coupling, plus pretty graphs, too). Best.
Sweet setup! Beautiful pro install. Well done!

I've already ordered an Epever MPPT 80 amp charge controller. Are there any issues of compatibility with Midnight Solar's ePanel?
Thanks!
The ePanel doesn't care what charge controller you get. Just mount it on the wall next to the ePanel. You'll need a 100A breaker for the output of the charge controller. I don't know what you have for a solar array, so I can't say what size you need for the input. https://www.altestore.com/store/enc...lar-100amp-150vdc-panel-mount-breaker-p10214/

Adding my two cents, I have a 1hp Grunfos pump, and it's drawing ~9.4amps, or ~2200W. One additional piece of information I can add is the startup surge of the Grunfos, which is 37-38amps (~9000W). I have two meters that can measure "inrush current"; that being the amp draw for the first half second or so. The inverter you select needs to be able to handle the inrush. My XW6848 is 5 second rated at 12,000W, and handles it easily. I did however have a fire-extingisher within arms reach the very first time I turned on the pump. I'd suggest looking through the documentation to find what's the largest transient load it can start. I can tell you from experience that in the past, this pump could stall a 4000W Onan generator, so the inrush needs serious evaluation.

The ePanel doesn't care what charge controller you get. Just mount it on the wall next to the ePanel. You'll need a 100A breaker for the output of the charge controller.
Midnight makes an assortment of different ePanels that fit different brands of inverters. What you could do is browse through the various choices and select the one that appears the most erganomic for your controller. Just about any would work though, with slightly longer wiring lengths.

One thing to caution you on though. Midnight makes ePanels that are code compliant with different brands of inverters. One of the things the Midnight engineers have done is incorporate extra elements, such as ground-fault breakers, for company to company compatability. When inserting a new controller into this mix, you want to make sure that you also include the extras. Study the wiring diagrams carefully for these extras to make sure you are creating a safe install.

Midnight makes an assortment of different ePanels that fit different brands of inverters. What you could do is browse through the various choices and select the one that appears the most erganomic for your controller. Just about any would work though, with slightly longer wiring lengths.

One thing to caution you on though. Midnight makes ePanels that are code compliant with different brands of inverters. One of the things the Midnight engineers have done is incorporate extra elements, such as ground-fault breakers, for company to company compatability. When inserting a new controller into this mix, you want to make sure that you also include the extras. Study the wiring diagrams carefully for these extras to make sure you are creating a safe install.
I gave him the link for Midnite's SW4024 ePanel, which is the inverter he said he wanted. It is more important to get the right ePanel for the inverter than to have the charge controller attached to it. Just mount it beside it, all is well.

Because Midnite doesn't know what charge controller you are going to use, they do not include the breakers for the charge controller, including the GFP, so you have to add them yourself based on your charge controller.

I recommend before you buy anything, you sketch out a schematic so you are sure what connects to what and how. This will save you money and time by ensuring you have what you need.

The ePanel doesn't care what charge controller you get. Just mount it on the wall next to the ePanel. You'll need a 100A breaker for the output of the charge controller. I don't know what you have for a solar array, so I can't say what size you need for the input. https://www.altestore.com/store/enc...lar-100amp-150vdc-panel-mount-breaker-p10214/
My solar array will start out at 1200 watts at 24v and eventually I will upgrade to a total of 1800 watts. The E-Panel diagram illustrates an 80 amp breaker on the PV+ line and a 100 amp breaker on the battery+ line, both coming from/to the charge controller. My battery bank will be four 6v 420AH flooded batteries. You answered the question above regarding sizing of the output breaker to the batteries. Is 80 amps correct for 1800 watts of solar panels?
Then, I think the last question, is regarding breaker sizing for the L1/L2 IN and OUT. My system is off-grid. I'll have a generator no larger than 7500 watts running/9375 starting and the 4000 watt Schneider inverter for input power. Output power will be to a standard 100 amp residential service panel. Again, the E-Panel instructions illustrate 50 amp breakers for input/output for both legs (No Bypass scenario). These seems consistent with a 100 amp panel - 50 amps each leg.
When I expand to add wind, I expect that I will add a special purpose charge controller and another properly sized breaker to the E-Panel.
Thanks for the excellent education.

Take a look at the Add-ons on the ePanel page. It shows the most commonly used items with it, including 30A and 50A AC 2-pole breakers. If you are going to buy from altE Store, I suggest you give them (us) a shout so they can put together a correctly designed system. Much more reliable than getting designs on a forum. They'll do a quote for free.

Back