diy solar

diy solar

Reconsidering SungoldPower 12k

Pickuptrck

NV owner builder

As titled, I fell in love with paper-specs of the below inverter. Then I saw a post here where multiple users have seen a 155w standby draw.

No idea why that's in bold, sorry! Lol

My ground array will have 10 acres to play in, so size is of no concern. Would a draw like this realistically cause great concern vs the 40w normal I see as normal with other units? Is there a unit similar to these specs 48v, genset start, off grid only, split phase capable, within a reasonable $3k cost range and good surge capacity?

SUNGOLDPOWER 12000W Peak 36000W Split Phase Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter,Low Frequency Inverter DC 48V AC Input 240V AC Output 120V 240V Converter, with 60A MPPT Solar Charger Controller 12KW​

I've completed the solar audit, I'll post it tomorrow with the build version (many high amp startup tools) and the more stable daily use versions.

I didn't post a link to stay within normal forum rules. If that's not a thing, I'll amend the post tomorrow.

Thanks!

The lower efficiency units have a higher idle draw as do higher wattage units. My 4kW Victron burns 30W. Scale that up to 12kW, and you're looking at 90W, so 155W sounds about right for a lower end model.

You can post links as long as they're not affiliate links (links that get someone a "commission" should one buy from that link).

With full acknowledgement that what follows is overly snarky and not very helpful ...
Would a draw like this [155W] realistically cause great concern vs 40w normal I see as normal with other units?
It would cause exactly 155W - 40W = 115W (or 3.8x) greater concern than 40W ;)

How much that matters depends on your system and your specific context. I suspect if you are designing a system with an inverter capable of 12kW continuous, you may be able to eat 155 Wh / hr, (3.7 kWh / day), but damn that sounds like a lot of energy to burn just sitting idle.

With full acknowledgement that what follows is overly snarky and not very helpful ...

It would cause exactly 155W - 40W = 115W (or 3.8x) greater concern than 40W ;)

How much that matters depends on your system and your specific context. I suspect if you are designing a system with an inverter capable of 12kW continuous, you may be able to eat 155 Wh / hr, (3.7 kWh / day), but damn that sounds like a lot of energy to burn just sitting idle.
Helpful, no. But insightful ?.

As with all things, just trying to get a feel for 'normal and acceptable' to make every dollar spent within my budget to live it's best life until it goes up in smoke on the way out the door.

The lower efficiency units have a higher idle draw as do higher wattage units. My 4kW Victron burns 30W. Scale that up to 12kW, and you're looking at 90W, so 155W sounds about right for a lower end model.

You can post links as long as they're not affiliate links (links that get someone a "commission" should one buy from that link).
Gottcha to links. Nothing commission based here. Uhhhhhh. Math. More math lol. Ok, now I'll have to go back to the spreadhseet, at least there are no letters in this math.

The more power you have available, the more will be lost to idle draw and inefficiency. Some are better than others, but it's the price you pay. You're compensating anyway because you're going to need more battery capacity to handle the higher power, so you can probably afford the penalty.

Is there a unit similar to these specs 48v, genset start, off grid only, split phase capable, within a reasonable $3k cost range and good surge capacity?
I use SMA Sunny Island. It doesn't include the PV charge controller.
Idle consumption 25W, standby (occasional check for loads) is 6W
Continuous output 5750W at 25C, 7000W 30 minutes 11,000W 3 seconds surge.
About $5000 msrp but often seen on eBay for $2200 new in the box.
Output is 120V, so for split-phase you either need a transformer or a second inverter (which doubles power, and up to 4 units can be connected)
It will manage a generator and various lead-acid or NiCd batteries. Lithium is either expensive supported models or DIY hassles.

PV connection can be a Midnight Classic charge controller with communication bus interface, any DC charge source and a battery shunt, or AC coupled inverters. Same brand Sunny Boy can be found new/used/new old stock for a variety of prices.

You could probably buy one Sunny Island, a transformer, and one charger controller & shunt or GT inverter for about $3000 plus tax & shipping.

About $5000 msrp but often seen on eBay for $2200 new in the box.
Output is 120V, so for split-phase you either need a transformer or a second inverter (which doubles power, and up to 4 units can be connected)
It will manage a generator and various lead-acid or NiCd batteries. Lithium is either expensive supported models or DIY hassles.

PV connection can be a Midnight Classic charge controller with communication bus interface, any DC charge source and a battery shunt, or AC coupled inverters. Same brand Sunny Boy can be found new/used/new old stock for a variety of prices.

You could probably buy one Sunny Island, a transformer, and one charger controller & shunt or GT inverter for about $3000 plus tax & shipping.
I did find a couple of the SIs for what you expected on ebay. I figured the lower price meant they were knock offs. Good to know they may be genuine. Have you had any units fail? I've done a bunch of desktop PC repair in my day. Stocking a spare PCB and swapping one in, I'm fine with. I draw the line at resistor soldering level repairs though, I know my attention to detail limits and those are over that limit.

Wow--I know next to nothing about grid tied products--but that seems like exceptionally good idle consumption! I'm starting to see why you are an SMA devotee, seems like a well designed product :)

Helpful, no. But insightful ?.

As with all things, just trying to get a feel for 'normal and acceptable'
Well I think 155W idle is well outside 'normal' for most people here, but since you mentioned you are not limited in land or sun, you can compensate for that high idle if funds allow. But its probably worth doing a basic cost/benefit. Figure out how much additional battery capacity and PV you would need to cover that idle consumption and what it would cost, and then compare to other options.

Wow--I know next to nothing about grid tied products--but that seems like exceptionally good idle consumption! I'm starting to see why you are an SMA devotee, seems like a well designed product :)

Well I think 155W idle is well outside 'normal' for most people here, but since you mentioned you are not limited in land or sun, you can compensate for that high idle if funds allow. But its probably worth doing a basic cost/benefit. Figure out how much additional battery capacity and PV you would need to cover that idle consumption and what it would cost, and then compare to other options.

That's a good way to put it... 155W * 24h = 3.72kWh - should be covered by adding another 700W worth of panels.

That's a good way to put it... 155W * 24h = 3.72kWh - should be covered by adding another 700W worth of panels.
And possibly more battery capacity if that is a limiting factor. About 2-3kWh of that 3.7kWh of idle consumption may be consumed outside of peak solar hours.

On the other hand if your battery bank is already sufficiently large this may not matter. But should be considered at least.

I did find a couple of the SIs for what you expected on ebay. I figured the lower price meant they were knock offs. Good to know they may be genuine. Have you had any units fail? I've done a bunch of desktop PC repair in my day. Stocking a spare PCB and swapping one in, I'm fine with. I draw the line at resistor soldering level repairs though, I know my attention to detail limits and those are over that limit.
Absolutely genuine, and a bargain courtesy of Mr. Warren Buffet getting taken for a cool 1/3 billion by DC Solar (other investors put in the other 2/3 billion.) DC manufactured trailers with solar panels, forklift batteries, Sunny Island, light towers. They couldn't actually find as many customers to lease them as desired, but with a $billion on hand they built a lot. Also had many unopened boxes. All went to many bankruptcy auctions. Resellers are all over the place, and I bought a pallet of them.

I've only been running mine 6 months. I had 5 Sunny Boy for 15 years, with 2 failures. One repaired in warranty, the other failed outside warranty - it had a blown transistor I could see. By then of course I could pick up used/surplus.

The stuff is very high quality and reliable. Oh, and these either come with 5 year warranty or 10 year (mine all have that)

If you couple with Sunny Boy (requires 240V one way or the other) then you get AC power from the grid tie inverters in addition. Two Sunny Island for 11.5 kW and four 6 kW Sunny Boy for 24 kW additional, 35 kW in full sun. So you could run maybe 24 kW of load for 5 straight hours in the summer, with batteries filling in the lower part of the production curve.

Last edited:
Reporting the audit. Question on block K10, it says voltage input. Should it be 48v for the battery, or 240v split from the inverter?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-23-22-23-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-11-23-22-23-00.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2020-11-23-22-22-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-11-23-22-22-19.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 3
Back