diy solar

diy solar

Recurring Panel problem

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
There's a recurring problem with my solar panels.

Each day, as the sun starts to descend in the west, I watch in horror as the output from my panels slowly decreases and then stops altogether!
It remains that way for a very long time and then the power slowly ramps up! It does this every day!!!

Oh dear oh dear. Perhaps I shouldn't have bought used panels?

solar-berkeley-small.png

I hate it, but the price was too good to pass up.
I just live with it, as complaining hasn’t solved it yet...

Rendering by paul something... Is that your actual setup ? weird colours and the shading of the bottom row is not optimal I think. I've never seen panels that colour either.

Is that your actual setup ? weird colours and the shading of the bottom row is not optimal I think. I've never seen panels that colour either.
ROFL... no... we're in the Humor section... but if interested you can see my setup starting here. The image is one I searched for on google, but I suspect @ghostwriter66 could confirm if that's Texas dirt soiling those panels or not.... I know it says rendering, so might be tree (sorta looks like a reflection of a big tree in autumn) or something overlaid on it rather than actual dirt.

The image did get me interested in the photographer... linked in says this:
Accomplished art director and graphic designer for a variety of print and web media. Expert in photography and illustration. Experienced manager of department staff, editorial art budgets, and production workflow.
Would like to see more of his work, but sadly not facebooked so having a problem finding some...

Last edited:
I watch in horror as the output from my panels slowly decreases and then stops altogether!

I have a similar problem, but in my case I think this has to do with the temperature or something, because in summer they work 24/7 but they stop altogether in winter. No idea what it could be... Some people say they should work better in cold. I think that's fake news.

I have a similar problem, but in my case I think this has to do with the temperature or something, because in summer they work 24/7 but they stop altogether in winter. No idea what it could be... Some people say they should work better in cold. I think that's fake news.
I've heard that happens to everyone on the North pole, so probably nothing you can do without some elf magic. After Global Warming must come Global Cooling, so if you wait long enough the summer should be cold enough to start taking advantage of the temperature correction to Pmax.

Whoa! Why didn't I think of that! Don't forget to add a defroster so the panels don't ice up.

I guess once I get my batteries I'll have to stop whining. That is in my setup, only need enough batteries for 1 day at a time as I can recharge the next day whereas you need 6 months at a time.

So how many AA batteries do you use to bridge the day? I wonder how many I would need to bridge the 6 months. Good thing you can get cheap NiMH AA batteries on Alibaba these days. Or go old school and stick to NiCd.

ROFL... no... we're in the Humor section... but if interested you can see my setup starting here. The image is one I searched for on google, but I suspect @ghostwriter66 could confirm if that's Texas dirt soiling those panels or not.... I know it says rendering, so might be tree (sorta looks like a reflection of a big tree in autumn) or something overlaid on it rather than actual dirt.

Would like to see more of his work, but sadly not facebooked so having a problem finding some...
You got me ! I didn't spot this in humour, I saw it on the "What's New" list... gotta pay more attention LMAO... no excuse either, I was already on Mugga #2 ... maybe I need a nap....

Oh... for DIYers there's an instructible on the "P" battery (primitive version). They need to make this into a flow battery rather than a batch style. I think this has real potential (yeah pun). Can you imagine large scale generators built off this technology hooked up next to every pub? We could power the world!

Last edited:

Going to say NOT West TEXAS where I am at ... first -- what the hell is that green stuff on the ground?? Everything out here looks like the dark side of the moon ... second .. what the hell is that pointy thing in the distance with green on it ?? The only thing growing out here out of the soil are these things...

1584542917288.png

Attachments

• 1584542864510.png
    1584542864510.png
    541.9 KB · Views: 1
Going to say NOT West TEXAS where I am at ... first -- what the hell is that green stuff on the ground?? Everything out here looks like the dark side of the moon ... second .. what the hell is that pointy thing in the distance with green on it ?? The only thing growing out here out of the soil are these things...
Thanks for the pic. I can almost smell the hydrocarbons...

I have the same problem. So, I set up an array of floodlights. That keeps the battery bank charged all night long.

... first -- what the hell is that green stuff on the ground?...
The local term is weeds, count your lucky stars... most of us have to truck to HomeDepot to buy stuff to kill them -- but it doesn't work that well, they always come back.

... second .. what the hell is that pointy thing in the distance with green on it ??
Once upon a time they were useful in transportation, but AFAIK they serve no useful purpose today. Many are considered invasive here...probably because of all the shade they cause. Like leaches they suck moisture and nutrients out of the ground. They also caused PG&E a lot of problems in California and billions in lost business. Your community is wise to have had them all destroyed.

P.S. Fantastic photo! Nice job!

Update: Kudos to @Sandman, just saw your thread on how you're saving us all from this vile problem...

Last edited:
Wouldn't a good "salt n water" or "bleach n water" mixture with a microfiber rag and squeegee (on a telescopic rod) clean those puppies?

I think it would.
Would you believe these used panels are missing both the IEC 61701 (salt resistance) and IEC 62716 (ammonia resistance)?
Oh, and we're in the humor section ;)

Back