diy solar

diy solar

Reflectix vs Prodex (or other reflective foam core insulation) in an RV or tinyhome?

Tomthumb62

Solar Wizard
Reflectix is all the rage in the RV/van world, but Reflectix's own disclaimer is it MUST be used with an air gap, lest the reflective surface can become an conductive source of heat, instead of reflecting it back. Yet you see tons of rv/vanlifers installing Reflectix direct to their windows or walls. Reflectix also says not to use it on windows, because in extreme cases, it could reflect so much heat back to warp/melt the glass. I'm guessing their talking about someplace like Tucson or Death Valley for that kind of trouble, though.

So a youtube ad finally got me, I clicked. It was for "Prodex" insulation. It looks somewhat similar to Reflectix, except instead of bubble-wrap type insulation between the two reflective sides, it's closed-cell foam. I know from my camping experience, that closed cell foam is a very effective insulator and I would think it would be much better for insulation from the cold than sleeping on (non-reflective) bubble wrap, assuming you could find some sturdy enough to support body weight.

This got me wondering...perhaps the reflective side in something like Prodex, even if it does conduct heat if placed on a warm/hot surface (like windows), it's going to not transfer the heat as well due to the closed cell foam.

Prodex seems to require purchasing direct from them and isn't cheap. There are similar products on Amazon for cheaper.

Anyone used these foam-core reflective barriers in a tiny home or RV type setup?

I'm not sure the reflective business is worth the risk/hassle/cost. It might be just way better to straight up use cheap closed cell foam.

might be just way better to straight up use cheap closed cell foam
There is a recycled plastic batt insulation to consider. It doesn’t hold water or mold like thinsulate or wool-batt can, and aids in sound control.

Reflectix is a useful product but it isn’t and end-all nor do i believe all the hype about how miraculous it is.

Reflectix is a great product for making overhead vent covers, and it does offer some aid in heat retention when make into removable panels for the single-glass windows in most RVs and boondocker conversions.

It’s also a quick and dirty insulation for the ceilings and sidewalls of cabinets. I wouldn’t probably opt for that and use 1/2” or 3/4” polyiso foil faced foam board cut very tight and manipulated into place.

Back