Regular wire crimper for MC4

Sean Steele

I'm sorry if this is considered similar to the other question but that one was about dies.

Can I use my regular wire crimpers to crimp MC4 terminals? Pic of my crimpers attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20210110_014739395.jpg
    PXL_20210110_014739395.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 2

mopat

Solar Enthusiast
You could but the proper crimping tool for MC4 is pretty cheap ($15) and can be used for other connectors.

HRTKD

Boondocker
I looked at the crimp dies I had available and while one of them looked similar, I decided to buy a real MC4 die that fit the ratcheting crimp tool that I already had. As expensive as the MC4 connectors are, I didn't want to take any chance that I would bungle the crimp with the wrong tool.

Sean Steele

You could but the proper crimping tool for MC4 is pretty cheap ($15) and can be used for other connectors.
In my case, they are either not available or cost a premium because of location. I have to drive over an hour just to find a Harbor Freight or Home Depot.

I suppose, since I don't have the connectors either, I'll just order one of the "kits" that include the connectors, wrenches and the crimping tool and wait for a week to have it shipped.

I was just hoping that I could stick with the tool that I have.