diy solar

diy solar

Rehabbing panels

KA1J

I picked up 4 Q Cell 400W panels Q.PEAK DUO BLK ML-G10.a+ 400 yesterday that have 2 years of service. There are a couple of small dings on the glass, nothing major but one the area of a dime might have cracked through the safety glass but no damage to the cell below. There are a couple of areas where the glass meets the metal frame that look like they might need to be sealed a bit better, but there is nothing I can feel of separation, just the appearance of the sealant maybe separating from the frame. Nothing major but I want to attend to the obvious before putting them into service.

I thought about a dab of epoxy on the small cracks on the glass but remember epoxy yellows under UV. Maybe one of the windshield crack repair kits you get at autozone might be a better solution but they are a one-time per use item & wonder what might be a great & inexpensive repair for this.

As to the area at the seam where the glass meets the frame. Although I can't feel any separation with my thumbnail, I was thinking the clear Aquarium silicone caulk would be good to make sure all is protected from the elements.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I was wondering what might be a standard approach that is known to work in these instances.

Any suggestions?

Good ideas - you sure don't want any moisture / vapor ingress.

So even if the crack-fix might not look the best, sealing against moisture intrusion is even more important.

Not sure how moisture-proof (from a vapor ingress, even if it keeps raindrops out) regular RTV sealant is for the frames. Maybe 3M 5200 marine sealant carefully applied might be a better choice? (I have no experience with it)

In another thread, there were a couple of products recommended that seemed to work. Sorry I can’t locate them right now. But epoxy is a no go.

@Substrate, yeah, it's really important to try and resolve problems before they become one. I live on the ocean and a friend has a Marina & I'll ask him about the 3M 5200 marine sealant. That's a great idea.

@peakbagger, Yeah, I've decided not to use epoxy, too impossible to undo once it's solidified. I always like wiggle room to back out of a wrong decision. That Marine RV sealant might be the best option for the edges of the panels where the glass meets the metal.

Looking closer at the edges where the glass meets the metal, it reminds me of an area where the gasket might have extruded a little from straight (& invisible) linearity and it's irregularly in view. As I can't feel any separation with my thumbnail, it's not an objective crack in the seal. Still, I'd rather be sure and just seal it. Unless... there's a gap to allow breathability designed into the construction? If so, I wouldn't want to occlude that.

The non-yellowing of that windshield crack repair kit might offer my best option for the nick in the glass that might have gone through. If it's invisible and durable, truly sealing the crack, that would be the good answer.

Back