diy solar

diy solar

Relay-Based JBD BMS Idle Consumption - ~1.2W

TorC

Solar Enthusiast
Looking at getting two of the 300A JBD relay based BMS units for 2P,16S, but am somewhat concerned about how much power they'll use. The datasheet on the site is the same as for the FET based one, and looks very wrong to my eye. Anyone know or can readily measure what it actually uses?

@drbytes It looks like you have this JBD BMS I'm looking at. Did you ever measure idle on current of the BMS, or if not, would you check if there is a part number on the relay that might lead me to a datasheet for it?

Based on the pictures it look like a Kilovac EV200AAANA. These are very cheap in China now for some reason. Clones or not, i purchased a couple and they perform exactly according to the datasheet of the relay. They weigh exactly the same as the datasheet say they should, the on resistance is correct and they consume about 1.2 W in the on state, exactly as in the datasheet. If you want a relay or mosfet based BMS depends a bit on your application. The relays have lower on resistance and much higher short circuit ratings. So for high current applications it is likely that they consume and waste less power than mosfet based BMS systems. For low power applications they are not really needed and the 1.2 W might be a showstopper.

Thanks for that confirmation, @jontm. I came across a couple pictures last night and found that datasheet. I'm glad to know that bears out in the real world.

Back