diy solar

diy solar

Reliable 5000W 48v inverter can run two at a time using two hot and 1 neutral?

bluefox140

I have this question about these inverters. I heard the hot is 60v and the neutral is 60v to make 120v. my AC output have two hot and 1 neutral. so if I buy two of these inverters and connect my 1 hot to each inverter and the AC output neutral to both inverters will it work ? or I will get two 60v hot and 1 x 120v neutral from my AC output ? I am currently using LF split phase with 2 hot and 1 neutral with 2 x 120v. thanks in advance .

I’ve never heard of 60v/120v split phase power. Do you mean 120v/240v split phase?

Certain inverter brands are known to have models with the issue. They are essentially USA split phase 240/120 (120-0-120) style and to save money in engineering a 120V only device they reduced the voltages and label it as 120VAC single phase when in reality it is 60-0-60. Connecting either of the 'live' legs to earth to establish it as 'neutral' usually results in a nice loud bang.

Wow. While those might get the job done, I wouldn’t want to use one of those in a residence.

Certain inverter brands are known to have models with the issue. They are essentially USA split phase 240/120 (120-0-120) style and to save money in engineering a 120V only device they reduced the voltages and label it as 120VAC single phase when in reality it is 60-0-60. Connecting either of the 'live' legs to earth to establish it as 'neutral' usually results in a nice loud bang.
yes that's what I meant. some of these inverters have 60-0-60 to make 120v.

I have this question about these inverters. I heard the hot is 60v and the neutral is 60v to make 120v. my AC output have two hot and 1 neutral. so if I buy two of these inverters and connect my 1 hot to each inverter and the AC output neutral to both inverters will it work ? or I will get two 60v hot and 1 x 120v neutral from my AC output ? I am currently using LF split phase with 2 hot and 1 neutral with 2 x 120v. thanks in advance .
These are scary to me...

certainly not compatible with your homepanel... fine for corded, or direct wired appliances, but, as David Poz found out on his videos... a large 120V induction load, and POP! Out goes the inverter.
Tying two together, sharing a neutral would not work...

The 60V live neutral is only a floating voltage, as when I bonded the neutral there was no smoke. More details here.

For the initial power test I still would put a small fuse in the neutral line. There are exceptions to every rule.

Edit: I also bonded the neutral before powering-on the inverter. Assume quickly bonding a floating 60V neutral could emit considerable smoke.

Last edited:
The 60V live neutral is only a floating voltage, as when I bonded the neutral there was no smoke. More details here.

For the initial power test I still would put a small fuse in the neutral line. There are exceptions to every rule.
When David Poz did his video on them, I suggested he do that, but he never responded.

Back