diy solar

diy solar

reliable off-grid internet for monitoring - what are you using?

Have you looked at LoraWAN? It's very low bandwidth but for monitoring and IOT sensors it works great. You can connect devices up to 3 miles (five kilometres) in urban areas and up to 10 miles (15 kilometres) or more in rural areas. Depending on your location there may be LoraWAN hotspots nearby on the Helium network

I've been using a t-mobile 4g hotspot with repeaters to provide my remote retreat with wifi. It usually gets 2-3 "bars" with no booster. The wifi is 90% used by devices that send data to blynk and another mqtt server. The devices are esp32's and other things that send power usage, battery stats, etc. The issue is that the t-mobile hotspot just stops working about once a week while I'm 90 miles away... it's really inconsiderate that way. The fix, 100% of the time, is the drive there and restart the stupid thing. Literally, that's all that's needed. I'm looking at other options including a particle boron LTE board... but those seem to be out of stock for months everywhere.

What are you all using for reliable always-on internet?

I don't live on-site, it's a retreat for guests.

-JB
You have StarLink available to you yet?

I've been using a t-mobile 4g hotspot with repeaters to provide my remote retreat with wifi. It usually gets 2-3 "bars" with no booster. The wifi is 90% used by devices that send data to blynk and another mqtt server. The devices are esp32's and other things that send power usage, battery stats, etc. The issue is that the t-mobile hotspot just stops working about once a week while I'm 90 miles away... it's really inconsiderate that way. The fix, 100% of the time, is the drive there and restart the stupid thing. Literally, that's all that's needed. I'm looking at other options including a particle boron LTE board... but those seem to be out of stock for months everywhere.

What are you all using for reliable always-on internet?

I don't live on-site, it's a retreat for guests.

-JB
I just got Starlink and am no longer peeved at Elon. This service is awesome for us who live remotely.

Back