diy solar

diy solar

Remote Control and Monitoring Growatt + Seplos BMS

diysaa12

I just installed 2 Growatt SPF 5000 ES (In Parallel) along with 2 Seplos EVE 280 16s DIY Battery Packs (In Parallel). This is how I am monitoring and controlling the system remotely:

1. Seplos BMS Battery Packs:
Configured the two BMS packs in parallel with the master BMS as pack00 and slave BMS as pack01. Used an old laptop with the installed Seplos BMS monitoring software connected to the RS485 socket of the master BMS which allows me to monitor and change settings on both BMS packs (00 and 01). Installed RealVNC server on the laptop which is connected to my home WIFI so I can access the laptop remotely from any device/phone from anywhere there is Wifi/Data using the RealVNC client android app and be able to see the battery data in real time and make changes immediately if needed. The laptop needs to be kept on all the time.

2. Growatt Inverters:
Configured the 2 provided WIFI Growatt Dongles by updating them to the latest firmware 3.0.0.2 alongwith setting the update frequency to the Growatt shine server to 1 minute. Installed the Growatt shine phone app on my phone.

3. Placed the laptop charger and home WIFI router power adapter on my utility so they are available even if the battery packs or inverters trip due to an alarm/protection and stop providing AC output to my home. This way I am still able to monitor and control the BMS and Inverter remotely since the BMS and inverter Dongles normally do not shutdown for warnings/alarms and protections and continue to communicate.

All working well until now. The only cost for doing this is the old laptop which I happened to have. I am sure this solution does not cover all possible failure scenarios but it is the best I have found so far.

I am considering placing a cheap wifi IP camera pointed at the master growatt inverter screen for additional info.

I user solar assistant to talk to 4 growatts and 4 JBD BMSs.
It works great. Need a usb connection from each device. It keeps track of everything.
It also exports real time to Home assistant.

Back