diy solar

diy solar

Remote PV Panel and Battery Monitor

45North

Let it shine!
What's a good, inexpensive way to remotely monitor charging and discharging cycles on a 12v system.

I see Automotive Bluetooth battery monitors available or about $40. Are these any good?

Or there's the Renogy Wanderer with the optional add-on Bluetooth monitor for a little more.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Bluetooth has a very limited range. If you are truly remote from your battery you would not be able to monitor.

I have been using a Victron Venus GX connected to a Victron BMV-700 battery monitor to see what's going on with my system. It is not a perfect solution as It can't really monitor input and output separately. It only shows how many amps are going in or out at the present time. You also need a LAN and internet connection at the remote location to monitor when you are away. I also bought a cheap wifi internet camera from amazon and I have that trained on my charge controller display... That helps me monitor how many watts are being dumped to my air heater dump loads which gives a pretty good indication of system status.

OK, thanks. That gives me a couple of ideas.
I should have mentioned that this is just a small hobby system in my backyard so both WiFi and Bluetooth are available and in range.
(The only thing Remote about it is I don't want to go out into the snowy yard to check!)
I would prefer WiFi because the range is greater and it's more flexible, but the only ones I saw were for Bluetooth.

I'm inclined to prefer the Automotive ones because;
  1. Parts are widely available and directly compatible with my 12v system, and
  2. I'd prefer not to get locked into a proprietary system like Renogy or Victron (and have to pay their prices!)

OK, thanks. That gives me a couple of ideas.
I should have mentioned that this is just a small hobby system in my backyard so both WiFi and Bluetooth are available and in range.
(The only thing Remote about it is I don't want to go out into the snowy yard to check!)
I would prefer WiFi because the range is greater and it's more flexible, but the only ones I saw were for Bluetooth.

I'm inclined to prefer the Automotive ones because;
  1. Parts are widely available and directly compatible with my 12v system, and
  2. I'd prefer not to get locked into a proprietary system like Renogy or Victron (and have to pay their prices!)
WF-2030 from Bogart Engineeringworks with their TM-2030 and offers WiFi based remote monitoring - http://www.bogartengineering.com/products/wf-2030-wifi-remote-tm-2030-monitor.html

So, I got this Bluetooth clamp multimeter but it's not really very suitable for this project:
It will save up to 4000 readings and make a graph, which is nice but there's a few things I don't like:
  • The slowest repeat rate for sampling data is once per minute - too fast for Solar work - a few times an hour would be good enough.
  • The clamp-on ammeter seems to be intended for higher amps than my small hobby size panel. Even if I wrap the wire around the clamps a few times to multiply the reading, it's still too low to read.
  • Also, it's very big and bulky. I wish it was more compact so it would fit in the toolbox with the rest of my system.
  • It takes a 9v battery of its own. I wish it ran on 12v so I could hack it onto my panel battery - or even 5v so I could run it off the USB output from my controller.
Oh well, I'm sure I'll find a use for it on other projects.

Actually, this little round automotive voltmeter is much more useful.
I've mounted it to the front of the toolbox and I can see it from the house so I don't have to go outside to tell the state of charge.

Back