diy solar

diy solar

Remote starting with an existing load

spendlove

I've read that you never want to start your generator with a load already plugged into the electrical outlets. However, then I came across Westinghouse's newest propane generator that has a remote start. How exactly do they expect people to start remotely, when there will be items already plugged in? Does the generator incorporate a count down timer that allows the unit to start, run for a minute or so, and then engage the load that is plugged in?

Please advise. Thanks!

I think it's a difference in what's recommended and what actually happens. I've also wondered the same, and I've noticed that when I fire up the generator in my RV, there's a several second delay before power is available. I don't know if it's a function of the generator or the ATS not engaging.

most inverters have a auto transfer switch, only one or the other is on at a time .

I've got an Westinghouse 7500DF with remote control which has approx. 10sec delay until the power is available. Working fine with my minisplit AC/Heater and other loads (total around 3KW). The time is required in order for generator to stabilize the voltage and frequency.

My SMA Sunny Island SI-6048 allows me to set the 'warm up' parameter for my generator which is currently set so that the generator starts, then runs for a minute at no load before the SI starts to ramp up the load. Also has a 'cool down' parameter too where it disconnects the power before it shuts off. Starting your generator under load can damage more than just your generator.

I've read that you never want to start your generator with a load already plugged into the electrical outlets. However, then I came across Westinghouse's newest propane generator that has a remote start. How exactly do they expect people to start remotely, when there will be items already plugged in? Does the generator incorporate a count down timer that allows the unit to start, run for a minute or so, and then engage the load that is plugged in?

Please advise. Thanks!

While some generators by design offer some time between their cranking and their assumption of a load, the fact that many big box store generators don't isn't itself necessary a concern.

I say this because of several things that come to mind. The first is that Generator Start Control Models (e.g. the GSCM from Atkinson electronics) http://atkinsonelectronics.com/gscm-generator-start-control-module-rev-c5-13-custom-firmware/ have the ability to not only place time between the generator's successful crank and its assumption of a load, but on the flip side, when utility power is restored, they can disconnect the load and then shut down the generator some time thereafter so it can "warm down."

By no means is a utility outage or restoration the only thing that can trigger this device to start or start a generator.

Next, loads plugged into electrical outlets, as you refer to (a.k.a. appliances) have to manually plugged into the generator, or if you've set up an automatic transfer switch, that switch might have such delay functionality on top of the aforementioned GSCM. A manual transfer switch will require you to switch household loads to the generator with the flip of switches that you can effect once the generator is warmed up.

Take the APC automatic transfer switch, the only one I know that is UL listed to the 1008 standard that can do only 110 VAC, https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/cate...tches/wall-mounted-transfer-switches/N-jwjo8h . You can program it to take on certain circuits under certain circumstances.

I put an adjustable timer on the main contactor of my Diesel Generator. I have it set to 8 minutes. This gives the engine time to warm up prior to putting a load on it , especially in the frigid winter months. I set up my generator to auto-start when the batteries get down to 12 volts for at least 5 minutes.

Z10trwfo5oy.JPG

Back