diy solar

diy solar

Remote wireless switching of heater help needed

JaVid

Hi All,

Here is my system - 24V Off Grid. Multiplus 24/3000/70, Victron Smart Solar 150/70 CC, (2) 272AH 24 V battery packs each with Overkill BMS. System is working great and I often have a surplus of energy and would like to make some use of it.

When my battery is over 90%, I want to use solar/battery for space heating. My issue is that my solar system and batteries are in a shed around 100 feet from the cabin I would like to heat. How can I remotely turn on/off an electric heater? I do not have WIFI available. I know I can program the multiplus or CC to output DC voltage which I can trigger a relay, but I am not smart enough to figure out how such a relay can trigger my 120v space heater remotely without WIFI. Or maybe there is better way?

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reply - I want to run a 120V space heater. I know I could run a wire, but looking for other options. I do not have wifi at this location...

There are no options that are going to be less complicated and less expensive than buying a basic wifi router mesh network gear and useing off the self smart "timers/switch"

There are no options that are going to be less complicated and less expensive than buying a basic wifi router mesh network gear and useing off the self smart "timers/switch"
So - even though I don't have internet at the cabin, I can make a wifi network that will run smart plugs? That sounds pretty cool if possible...

If that is the case, do you know how I would be able to trigger the plug to work with the Victron set up I have?

Thanks!

So - even though I don't have internet at the cabin, I can make a wifi network that will run smart plugs? That sounds pretty cool if possible...
a wifi network does not require it be connected to the internet. Yes you can establish your own local wifi network to move data around wireless without it being connected to the internet.

as to the second part of your question. The only way I know to do it is with something like homebridge that allows you to link various "smart" things together. However this process is far from simple.

in short Multiplus --> voltage out when trigger is met, to something like a rasberry pi or some such that can talk to homebridge (pin 5 just went high) trigger smart switch (on/off)

However none of this addresses the larger question of why over 90% battery is your go/nogo for heat for the shed. If your goal is to keep the batteries from freezing then thats a overall temp question and has nothing to do with battery state of charge SOC.

Over all temp question is much easier problem.

If that is the case, do you know how I would be able to trigger the plug to work with the Victron set up I have?

Thanks!
you certainly can..

So if you want to use the Switched DC output of Victron to turn on the heater 100ft away.
What is the switched DC output of the Victron? 12VDC, 24VDC?
Something like this will work (you can fine cheaper one with same function).

or just search for AC outlet strip with 12VDC trigger.
I need to check on the DC output - I assumed it was something low and likely programmable - need to confirm that...

That product would work well and thanks for passing that along since I will probably use something like that in the power shed, but it doesn't help me turn on AC in my living cabin 100ft away...

I appreciate all your input

a wifi network does not require it be connected to the internet. Yes you can establish your own local wifi network to move data around wireless without it being connected to the internet.

as to the second part of your question. The only way I know to do it is with something like homebridge that allows you to link various "smart" things together. However this process is far from simple.

in short Multiplus --> voltage out when trigger is met, to something like a rasberry pi or some such that can talk to homebridge (pin 5 just went high) trigger smart switch (on/off)
Thanks for these ideas - seems pretty complex, but not impossible...

However none of this addresses the larger question of why over 90% battery is your go/nogo for heat for the shed. If your goal is to keep the batteries from freezing then thats a overall temp question and has nothing to do with battery state of charge SOC.

Over all temp question is much easier problem.
The batteries are in the power shed and they are heating separately.

90% is just example - I will have to figure out the trigger, but victron trigger is very flexible. It will probably be a voltage rather than SOC...

I need to check on the DC output - I assumed it was something low and likely programmable - need to confirm that...

That product would work well and thanks for passing that along since I will probably use something like that in the power shed, but it doesn't help me turn on AC in my living cabin 100ft away...

I appreciate all your input
So you run the ac power from the shed to the living cabin 100ft away, so why can't you have the on/off control in the shed to control the power to your space heater in thecabin? May be I misunderstanding what you are trying to do, remote on/off of the space heater in the cabin? or heater in the shed?
English is my second language so when I read below, I am may be confused as to what you are trying to do.
"When my battery is over 90%, I want to use solar/battery for space heating. My issue is that my solar system and batteries are in a shed around 100 feet from the cabin I would like to heat. "

So you run the ac power from the shed to the living cabin 100ft away, so why can't you have the on/off control in the shed to control the power to your space heater in thecabin? May be I misunderstanding what you are trying to do, remote on/off of the space heater in the cabin? or heater in the shed?
Sorry - I am probably not being clear. Batteries and all solar electronics are in my power shed. 100 feet away is my residential cabin and that is where I want to leave a heater plugged in and have it triggered by the battery SOC in the power shed. I have the cabin wired and already have a line buried between power shed and cabin and looking for a wireless solution to control heater.

Back