diy solar

diy solar

Removing shadows.

jasonhc73

Cat herder, and dog toy tosser.
Yesterday with tree shadows, today without.

MPPT 2 is the ground mount
MPPT 1 is the flat roof-mounted panels.

4 MPPTs in all.

MPPT 1 on inverter 1 is the flat part of the roof. 4 panels 4s
MPPT 1 on inverter 2 is the flat part of the roof. 8 panels 4s2p

MPPT 2 on inverter 1 is the top row of the ground mount. 5 panels - 5s
MPPT 2 on inverter 2 is the bottom row of the ground mount. 5 panels - 5s

2 LV6548's, 64 280ah LiFePO4 cells.

Removing shadows let 3 more kWh of PV get absorbed.

Attachments

• 20210917_092657.jpg
    20210917_092657.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 2021-09-26 (3).png
    2021-09-26 (3).png
    389.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210308_003704.jpg
    20210308_003704.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210308_003723.jpg
    20210308_003723.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 2021-09-26 (4).png
    2021-09-26 (4).png
    380.2 KB · Views: 43
Nice! Those charts really show the difference from one day to the next!!
MPPT2 on Inverter2 shows a huuuuge difference. It is really satisfying to see my system produce like this with no shadows for a few days. In a month as the sun is lower in the day, I'll be under shadows again, but their neighbor's trees. :(

Nice.

Here's a comparison of one day's PV output on a nice day last year and again this year for my grid tied system.
Both days close to Winter Solstice.

In between I had some strategic tree lopping done to help reduce the shade being cast. 34% more energy.

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 6.34.08 am.png

Yesterday with tree shadows, today without.

MPPT 2 is the ground mount
MPPT 1 is the flat roof-mounted panels.

4 MPPTs in all.

MPPT 1 on inverter 1 is the flat part of the roof. 4 panels 4s
MPPT 1 on inverter 2 is the flat part of the roof. 8 panels 4s2p

MPPT 2 on inverter 1 is the top row of the ground mount. 5 panels - 5s
MPPT 2 on inverter 2 is the bottom row of the ground mount. 5 panels - 5s

2 LV6548's, 64 280ah LiFePO4 cells.

Removing shadows let 3 more kWh of PV get absorbed.
Just for the noobs like me understanding. PV is produced, load is consumed and Grid is overproduction sent/sold to the grid. Right?

This installation is for one home?

Just for the noobs like me understanding. PV is produced, load is consumed and Grid is overproduction sent/sold to the grid. Right?

This installation is for one home?
This is my home.

Load - how much energy my house is putting on the inverters. AC Output
PV - how much Sun is being captured by my panels. DC input from the solar panels.
Grid - how much energy my batteries (and load) are taking from the grid. AC Input

Do you know your neighbor well?
When I was putting up my Satellite dish the neighbor had a Tree that was going to be a problem. I had a nice chat with him and explained the problem and asked him if he would let me lop off the top 20ft of the Tree. He said sure, just so long as I don't have to pay for anything. Since then his wife loves the fact that I do an occasional cutting and the tree has spread twice as wide creating a lovely shaded area in their property. Just saying that some people if approached properly and respectfully will have no issue with it.

Nice setup. What panels are you using there? Price and where you got them too 8^)

Kid
The ground mounts are Canadian Solar 340s, I bought them from Santan Solar on eBay. The flat part of the roof is debadged panels pulled from somewhere near Yuma, 295s. The regular roof part is Mission Solar 310s.
Do you know your neighbor well?
When I was putting up my Satellite dish the neighbor had a Tree that was going to be a problem. I had a nice chat with him and explained the problem and asked him if he would let me lop off the top 20ft of the Tree. He said sure, just so long as I don't have to pay for anything. Since then his wife loves the fact that I do an occasional cutting and the tree has spread twice as wide creating a lovely shaded area in their property. Just saying that some people if approached properly and respectfully will have no issue with it.
Not near as big a deal as I thought it to be, it only affects the last hour of the solar day anyway. To me, it doesn't make much sense to try to get a 200-year-old tree cut down for 2 hours of Sun September and October. It is leafless until March.

Back