Renogy 200 ah vs SOK 206 ah lithium?

Northstar Chaser

Hi,
New member of the forum here, new to solar design, and anxious to learn and I'm learning a great deal, thanks to you all. My first question has to do with battery selection.

I have a truck camper that I bought used and it has 160W rooftop panel, a 30 amp Zamp controller, and two 6v golf cart batteries. My understanding is I have about 50 ah of usable storage. I need to get us up to the 175-200 ah range and I'm planning to do pretty much Will's 400w system with alternator charging. I want to go with lithium and was about to pull the trigger on the recommended SOK 206 ah, but then I saw Renogy has a 200 ah battery that can be had for about the same price right now. Will gave the Renogy 100ah battery high marks on build quality and performance last year. Does that carries over to the 200ah battery? I'm wondering if I could get opinions on the Renogy 200ah vs the SOK 206 ah. The SOK can be connected in series and the Renogy can't, but I'm building a 12v system, so that's not an issue. Warranty is 5 years on Renogy vs 7 years on SOK. Any other differences that would make one stand out over the other for my application?

Thanks

papab

Solar Enthusiast
Agree w the previous comment about Renogy support. I had a Renogy AGM that was completely dead at 2 weeks over the 2 year warranty. Back and forth emails with them for a while, the didn't seem to read or comprehend the previous emails. I think there QC is lacking.

Rocksnsalt

Solar Enthusiast
Greetings,
I am no expert but here are some thoughts/observations:
When asking opinions on products it would be great if links are included.
Imperfect as they are, Renogy has been around a while, how long has SOK been around?
A warranty is only as good as the company behind it.
The Renogy battery has bluetooth monitoring.
I don’t think the SOK does.

The SOK weighs just 53lbs. Not sure how that’s possible with 200ah. Not doubting, just sayin’. Awesome.
I also like the smaller footprint.

The Renogy weighs 60lbs.
ALSO:
RENOGY
Maximum Continuous Charging Current100 A
Maximum Continuous Discharging Current200 A

SOK
Max Charge Current: 50 A
Max Discharge Current:100 A

Last edited:
Reactions: Dzl

jharrell

Solar Enthusiast
The SOK weighs just 53lbs. Not sure how that’s possible with 200ah. Not doubting, just sayin’. Awesome.
I also like the smaller footprint.

The Renogy weighs 60lbs.
ALSO:
RENOGY
Maximum Continuous Charging Current100 A
Maximum Continuous Discharging Current200 A

SOK
Max Charge Current: 50 A
Max Discharge Current:100 A
SOK definitely only 53lbs I have two of them. They use 4 206ah Ganfeng cells and a thin sheetmetal case that keeps size and weight down, its great form factor they are no much bigger than my two old 6v golf cart batteries and was able to put them in the same space. The Renology probably uses 8 100ah cells in a 4s2p config internally which probably weighs more, the plastic case thicker adding bulk, SOK also has a plastic version that is bulkier than the metal.

The SOK seems to be conservatively rated, Have tested a single 206ah at 140 amps discharge and 110amp charge with no cutout, there is info on this forum from SOK that the BMS is actually rated 150 amps continuous, I think they are under selling themselves with the specs.

Zigglesworth

I'm debating the same thing: 200ah SOK v Renogy:

In the past, I had terrible luck with the Renogy BT-2 monitor for a 100ah lithium 12v Renogy, and now I see that Renogy has integrated bluetooth technology into the newer 200ah battery. I wonder if it works? Their app gets terrible reviews and at least one review of the 200ah battery on the Renogy site cries foul. I've had slightly better luck with the Victron Energy BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor -- not perfect, but something. The SOK amazon site claims 48 pounds. This means -- by my economy -- that a potentially useless Renogy bluetooth battery monitor weighs over 10 pounds.

Leaning toward SOK, but wondering where folks stand in their latest positions?

(Would be nice to see Will rip open the Renogy 200ah bluetooth, and test the bluetooth ! )