diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 2000W inverter and induction cooking

Swing

Hi all,

I am in Europe, so I want to buy a 12v 2000W Renogy inverter that makes 230v 50Hz.
The German Renogy support is not giving any hard answers if I can run an induction cooktop. Not all inverters like that.
I want to use a portable induction cooktop of 1000W, and possibly 2000W.
Because it is an induction load, I am expecting a 2000W inverter to trip if you start the cooktop from nothing to 2000W. That is okay.
What I want is a to run a 1000W version at least without any issues.
Alternatively I buy this Ikea 2000W version which, if I understood correctly, you can limit in max power.

This topic is not about energy usage of induction cooking. I have calculated that.

Many induction cooktops limit cooking power by modulating the power generating circuits thus the peak power may be high, even on a low cooking power.
As for inverters, Renogy is not a company I would consider. Victron inverters and inverter chargers have European support and produce reliable units rated at VA, not just power. One UK company, Sterling Power, offer both inverters and induction cooktops, they may be able to advise.
Mike

Yes but everything has a price. I have been using Victron as well, in a much larger setup.
And it also is not always happy to service my induction cooktop. Yes it always works, but I can notice lights flickering and sometimes the Multiplus is making funny sounds, sometimes disconnecting the AC input. That is with a 3.2kW induction hop on a Multiplus 48/5000.

This setup for this project is much smaller and I don't need Multiplus functionality.
In fact, most uses will be fairly simple I could do even without the sine wave (but I don't want that)
Only the induction cooktop is there to make it more complex.

To bring down the cost I am looking for an cheaper inverter that can power an induction cooktop. I am fine with buying a 2000W inverter to run a 1000W induction cooktop.
The 2000W renogy has a peak power of 4000W but no VA is specified like you say.

Alternatively I buy a much poorer ceramic heater and be done with it for low cost.

So yes, there are better products than the Renogy, I know. But the price differences are large enough to see if it will work or not. I do not need the extra features.

To answer my own question, I bought a Renogy 12v to 230v inverter, and induction cooking is working fine. I have used 2 different types of Ikea induction cooking hobs.
However, I did go for the 3000W inverter from Renogy to power a 2000W constantly. The 2000W Renogy inverter has trouble doing that. Which is kind of silly, but also, they are very cheap so what do you expect? And there is always extra power needed due to inefficiency (so more amps at 12v)

I upgraded the wiring between battery and inverter, what you get with the Renogy inverter isn't very good (it isn't big enough).

Other than that, I cannot complain for 320 Euro, a 3000W sine wave inverter running my induction cooktop.

Back