diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 2000W Inverter Charger Grounding Issues

danyell52

I have been working on installing my 2000W Renogy Inverter Charger in my build and I am having issues grounding it. When connected to shore power, my AC outlet tester reads that everything is wired correctly. When on my house battery power, my outlet tester says that there is an open ground. I have the inverter ground from that little nut inside to the chassis and I have my inverter neutral going to the chassis as well but for some reason I am getting this error. Renogy told me to switch from utility mode to battery mode but this did not fix the issue. I know it has the automatic neutral and ground transfer but I'm wondering if my inverter might just be broken? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I tested my dad's RV when not on shore power and it was grounded so I know there is a way to ground completely but I don't know what that is.

I have a few questions. If I can help I will.

When you are connected to shore power what is the output voltage from the AC Side of the inverter/Charger?
Check the following...

1: Make sure you check the voltage from the "Hot (Black) wire to Ground (Bare copper)".

2: "Hot (Black) to Neutral (White)"

3: Then also check the "Neutral (White) to Ground (Bare Copper).

Then repeat this test again while you are running from batteries only and not connected to shore power and let me know the results.

Also It sounds like you do have it connected to correctly but check to make sure your ground from the inverter to the chassis is good.
You can also run this ground directly to a negative bus bar providing it is grounded properly to the chassis.

Inverter output side: The inverter neutral should not connect to the chassis. The inverter hot should not connect to the chassis. If you have three wire outlets, only the green wire should connect to the inverter case. Then the case should connect to the chassis. Use the case lug to connect to the chassis. I also connect my chassis to the negative BusBar. With alternating current, only the green wire should, and must, connect to the chassis.
You asked this question on another forum. Didn't you get the answer?

Inverter output side: The inverter neutral should not connect to the chassis. The inverter hot should not connect to the chassis. If you have three wire outlets, only the green wire should connect to the inverter case. Then the case should connect to the chassis. Use the case lug to connect to the chassis. I also connect my chassis to the negative BusBar. With alternating current, only the green wire should, and must, connect to the chassis.
You asked this question on another forum. Didn't you get the answer?
I did something really stupid by connecting the neutral and ground together in my 30 amp sub panel supplying my inverter charger (inverter input side). I was in big hurry. I have an error code 02 Xantrex #817-2080. Do you think I permanently damaged my unit. Caught it after one cycle of charging. Thanks for any ideas.

Back